CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

LATER AT THE PIG AND THISTLE

They sat at the table in the corner. It was almost half past two in the morning, but the pub still had eager customers.

    Quipp knew that Ned, the publican, would drive out all customers on the hour of six, but would open the doors again at ten. Quipp admired his stamina.

    He and Jake had been discussing Mr Frederick Granville for some time, and now Quipp felt sure he knew how to handle his quarry.

    He had deduced some days previously that Granville had been able to secure the Wellesley property in Northamptonshire with the aid of a corrupt lawyer. That same lawyer was now paying Quipp handsomely to remain silent about his fraudulent dealings.

    With the lawyer in his pocket he could face down Granville with confidence. But there were others, too, who knew something of Granville’s crimes.

    ‘From what Miss Wellesley told us of the actual abduction,’ Quipp said to Jake. ‘I am convinced that the footman, William, was in Granville’s pay.’

    ‘I could arrange for him to meet with a nasty accident,’ Jake offered. ‘I have friends who would do it for half a sovereign.’

    Quipp laughed. ‘No, Jake. William is too valuable to us.’

    There would be no point in putting the squeeze on a mere footman, but his knowledge of the abduction was invaluable.

    ‘We must have a little talk with him tomorrow,’ Quipp said. ‘I’m sure he could be very co-operative if he thought his position in Lord Birkett’s household was in jeopardy.’

    Quipp lifted his glass and drank the last of the beer.

    ‘We will call it a day, now Jake,’ he said. ‘I advise you not to return to the Phoenix Club to sleep tonight. Find another place.’

    ‘Not easy, guv,’ Jake said gloomily. ‘I’ve been sleeping in those stables for as long as I can remember.’

    ‘Have you never had a home, Jake?’

    Jake shook his head.

    ‘Well, it’s about time you got a room of your own,’ Quipp advised. ‘You have money and a regular wage from me.’

    Jake looked horrified. ‘No, guv,’ he said. ‘I could never sleep easy inside four walls.’

    ‘Well, I’ll tell you what,’ Quipp said. ‘I’ll ask the landlord here if he can find you a corner somewhere, but I dare say he’ll want paying.’

    ‘I don’t mind paying,’ Jake said. ‘As long as I ain’t shut in nowhere.’

    They got to their feet and Quipp was about to approach the bar counter to speak with Ned, when the door of the pub burst open and a man, obviously a cabbie, came charging in. He had a soldierly bearing about him and a walrus moustache.

    ‘Quipp!’ the man bellowed as though on a parade ground. ‘Any cove here by the name of Quipp?’

    Quipp lifted his hand. ‘The very same,’ he said in surprise. ‘What can I do for you, cabbie?’

    The man jerked his thumb over his shoulder.

    ‘A lady out here as wants a word with yer,’ the man said.

    Quipp and Jake looked at each other.

    ‘A young lady?’ Quipp asked.

    ‘Naw, this one has some years on her,’ the cabbie said. ‘And she looks fair affrighted, if you asks me.’