𝟑 ✫ 𝟐𝟓𝟎 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

Walker frowned at her words. "Oh, I didn't mean it as an insult."

"Not intentionally, no. But I do look like my mother... that's an insult in itself."

Walker didn't seem to know what to say, but it seems their company was confused by their conversation, mainly Bird. "Wait, you knew her mother, Walker?"

"Yes and so did you," Walker said, never once looking away from the very curious teen girl. She glared at him sharply, knowing that Bird Winders was not the escort for District 9 at the time of her mother's games. That used to belong to Dinkie Rank, but the woman had been forced to retire after suffering from many heart problems, despite being so young. "She's Deirdre Rowan's daughter."

A dramatic gasp left the escort's plum lips, placing a hand over her heart, looking directly at the redhead. "My word... how did I not put two and two together? If the last name wasn't a dead give away, you do look like our beloved deceased victor. Oh, sweetheart, I was so heartbroken to learn about your mothers death. I remember when it was announced. Not a dry eye in the Capitol. Everyone just adored your mother."

Sage's hands formed a fist at her side as she bit her tongue, trying to keep herself from getting up and ripping that wig off her damn head and making her choke on it. Instead, the redhead counted to ten before looking back up at the older woman. "Yes, it was very tragic."

Bird's sympathetic expression returned to its regular grin. "Oh! I can't believe we have our very first progeny tribute."

Chance finally spoke up after a moment. "Progeny? What does that mean?"

"Sage here is a descendant of one of our most famous victors. It's always been an exciting concept but no one thought it would happen. Not many victor's bear children nowadays. Her mother was a very popular woman." Bird explains, bouncing with excitement as her bright gray eyes narrow on the redhead once more. "Sponsors are going to be lining up to help you."

"Bird-" Walker warned, noticing the disgusted look on Sage's face. "Now might not be the best time to discuss this."

"Of course. We have plenty of time for that. You two must be starving. I'll go tell the chef we are ready for an early supper." With that said, Bird got up and disappeared behind the automatic doors, leaving the three District 9 residents sitting there in an awkward silence.

Sage was able to loosen her fist slightly now that the woman was gone, feeling relief that her nails were no longer digging into her palms, but her body was still tense, causing her to squirm in her seat in order to get comfortable. She knew that whatever food was brought out, Sage wouldn't be able to eat it. All she wanted was to slip into a deep slumber, praying that she'd wake up and all of this would be a dream. Adrian was never picked for the Hunger Games so it meant Sage never had to volunteer. Just because she would do it all over again, doesn't mean she wishes it never happened to begin with.

Chance was the one to break the silence first, looking directly at Walker. "So... what happens now?"

Walker seemed to understand the boy's question and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees, his hands connected tightly. "Well, today- nothing. You two have had a pretty intense and emotional day. We will eat then you two will get some much needed sleep. Tomorrow... Tomorrow is when the true work begins. That is when we talk strategy and take a look at the playback footage of the other tributes to get a look at your competition before we get to the Capitol."

"Why can't we just do that right now?" Chance questioned anxiously. Sage eyed him curiously, trying to get a feel for the kid. At first she thought his reaction at the reaping was similar to her own, trying to mask the fear, but now she is not so sure. He almost seemed a bit eager. She's not sure eager is the best word... maybe determined?