Intro

That stupid fucking snake.

I hated how she always wore that same fake grin, holding my hand in the streets as if everything was fine and we were a happy couple.

I also despised the way she would criticize and look down on every place I took her out to, wearing a frown as she glared at the waiters or staff.

She always thought she was above me and everyone else as well, just because she was rich and famous.

Every single time I would try to plan a hangout with my friends or family, she slithered her way over to me and tried to manipulate me into spending time with her instead, saying I was a bad boyfriend for not spending all my time with her.

Until eventually, I couldn't take it anymore.

And neither could she, apparently.

The comforting touch of the man next to me was the only thing able to ground me that evening as my head was filled with this intense feeling of hatred.

Said man was my best friend, Han Jisung.

Somehow, calling him my best friend didn't feel right, because ever since he came into my life I couldn't see friendship the same way.

No one could ever measure up to him.

I still can't believe the fact that he sat with me through that whole night.

And I couldn't even once bring myself to tell him how I felt. What I thought. Because I knew it would hurt him.

And without him, I would be lost.

A mess.

That pretty much sums it up.

The night was a mess.

My then-girlfriend texted me while I was getting ready for a regular night out with the kids, which was what my friend group had decided to call ourselves even though we were far from kids by now.

I hadn't been able to come to hangouts for a while and I had previously been looking forward to the next few hours, but when my eyes fell on the short message making my phone lock screen light up, my stomach dropped.

It's over, asshole.

The fact that she broke up with me didn't really come as too much of a surprise, but what she posted on Instagram to her thousands of followers was really the last drop for me.

I had been going through a lot because of her even before this happened, and the only person I knew I could trust and talk to was my best friend.

Fuck that.. my soulmate.

He knew me so well and always understood, even when I wouldn't say anything.

So I went to him that day, desperate for comfort.

But while I was on my way there, I remembered that one night a while ago when I knew something was different.

Something had changed.

Jisung seemed so on edge, yet he still wanted us to go out to eat.

I told him we could order in, but he insisted that we go, so we went to our usual sushi place.

There wasn't anything wrong with the dinner, it was rather what happened later.

I didn't talk much while we were out, which only seemed to make Jisung more nervous, I noticed.

It felt like he was waiting for something, maybe an opportunity.

But I decided we had stayed out long enough, seeing the exhaustion in my soulmate's eyes peek through every time he batted his thick eyelashes.

We headed back to his apartment, where I spent the night.

Y'know, in a friendly manner.

As in, we were both wearing clothes when we cuddled each other to sleep.

But in that moment, stuck in our own little bubble, we didn't realize our mistake.

That big mistake, which would come back to haunt us in the moment when my ex decided she wanted to ruin everything.

The moonlight shone down through the clear glass panes onto our peaceful, resting bodies as we embraced one another, blissfully unaware of the crime that was happening right outside that very window.

It took just a single moment and the camera had captured us, the shutter noise weak compared to the bustling city sounds right outside.

I don't know if it was my subconscious telling me something was wrong, but I stirred awake for a moment, letting my tired eyes glide around the dimly-lit room.

But Jisung's warm breath against my cheek was comforting, his mere presence enough to calm me to the point where I was able to fall back asleep.

That night should never have happened, because without it, maybe things would have turned out differently.

Maybe I wouldn't have had to shut my soulmate off, and he wouldn't have been hurt by it.

We wouldn't have been the center of attention for weeks and weeks on end, hearing the nastiest of words follow us around.

And because of my stupid actions, we couldn't even be in it together.

Maybe I didn't want us to be, because I didn't want to do any more damage, but we should have been.

We were nothing without each other.

————————————————————————