Chapter 27

"Boys are so infuriating!" Reese exclaimed, falling backwards on my bed.

"And why are they infuriating in your life?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"They are always so hot and cold! I haven't met a single guy who has had the guts to talk to one girl at a time and ask her out." She groaned, slapping my pillow over her face. I laughed.

"Oh, honey, I know what you mean." She looked at me. "Ok, maybe not exactly what you mean. But I read books!" I defended, Reese laughed.

"I always wondered what would happen if my life were a book."

"I'd have a best seller on my hands!" I joked, causing us to erupt in laughter.

"That would be pretty interesting to read about your life. Your inner thoughts on full display."

Sounds great.

Her phone dinged, signaling a text message. "That's my mom, I have to get home. Aunt Ronnie is coming to have dinner with us." She rolled her eyes.

She's told me about her Aunt Ronnie- and those things haven't been good things.

"Later, Gabby!" I waved as she left my room. I sighed, laying back on my bed. Another Saturday that will be spent laying in my bed reading books.

With the way I spend my weekends, the story of my life will be the book on the shelf nobody wants to touch. The intercom on the wall next to my bed buzzed on, Diane's voice coming through the speaker.

"Gabby, come to the office, please?" I stood from my bed, thoughts of what it could be about racing through my mind. I skipped down the stairs, turning in the direction of the office. I've become accustomed to the layout of the house in the few months I've been here.

I knocked on the door, hearing a faint come in from the other side. I opened the door, spotting Diane and Clay sitting at the two desks in the room. They were both smiling.

"So, a little birds told me that your birthday is coming up." Diane said. I rose my eyebrows. "Isn't it? The 15th of March, right?" I thought for a minute. Yeah, that sounds about right. I nodded. "Well, as an early birthday gift, we decided to get you something that you don't have an will quite possibly need in the time you will be here." Clay set a box on his desk. It was wrapped in purple dotted paper with a purple now on top of it. It wasn't big, but it didn't matter.

"You didn't have to do that! I'm fine with no presents on my birthday, really." I shrugged. Diane shook her head.

"Nonsense! Open it." She insisted, gesturing to the box. I picked it up, the box not very heavy. I pulled the bow of the box, setting it on the table. I pulled the paper off neatly, a white box in my hand. The front had a picture of a phone, an iPhone to be exact. It said it was a 6. I gasped.

"This is too much! I can't accept this." I shook my head.

"Of course you can accept it! You need a phone, honey, and we don't expect you to get it on your own." Clay said, smiling at me.

"This is the best gift I've gotten. Thank you so much." Diane stood from her chair, approaching me. She wrapped her arms around me, mine wrapping around her as well. "Thank you." I said again.

"You go get it set up, Gabby, we bought you a case as well. It's already on the phone and we have put our numbers and the boys numbers in your contact list." I thanked her again, leaving the office and unboxing the phone. I pulled it out, the purple case covered phone in my hand. I pressed the home button, the service issued screensaver appearing. I swiped the screen and saw the apps that you can't delete. I walked up the stairs to my room. The last phone I had was before my parents died and it was a crappy phone with the button keyboard. I looked at the calendar and saw that today was the 13th and that I would be sixteen in two days. My second birthday without my parents.

Halfway to my room, something hard bumped into me. I felt like I was falling and braced myself for the impact but it never came. I felt arms wrap around my waist, holding me up. I looked up at my savior, Rex's familiar face coming into view.

"Well, hello, Gabby. Funny seeing you here." He joked, hoisting me up. I looked at his face, a bruise coming in on his jaw line and his knuckles were busted.

"What the hell happened to you?" I gasped. I put my hand on his forming bruise gently. He winced.

"Someone's just not very fond of me right now." He sighed, glancing down the hallway.

"Did Noah do this to you?" I asked him. He sighed, nodding. "Why would he do that?"

"I told him something that he didn't want to hear." He shrugged.

"What did you tell him? That his hair was off balance?" I joked. He shook his head.

"I told him that I had feelings for somebody." He said vaguely.

"Let's go clean up your hands." I grabbed his wrist, pulling him to my bathroom. He sat on the counter, waiting while I got the first aide kit from my cabinet. "Diane thought every bathroom should have a first aid kit in case they wouldn't be able to make it to them in time." I chuckled. I pulled out the antiseptic spray. "This might hurt a bit."

"Gabby, I'm a dude. It's not gon-" he cut himself off with a hiss as the spray entered his wounds. I smiled. "You have a pretty smile." Heat rose to my cheeks.

"Thank you." I said, my hands wrapping gauze on his knuckles. His bruise wasn't too bad, which lead to the assumption that Noah can't fight very well. "He must not have a hard hit if your bruise is barely there." I chuckled.

"He's got a good black eye now." Rex smirked, his hands on my sides. I didn't move them as I packed up the first aid kit. I put it in the cabinet above his head.

"Are you okay, though? He must really feel something for the person you like for him to fight you." I said. He nodded.

"I know he does. I just can't help who I have feelings for." His face was inches away from mine, my heart rapid in my chest. His thumbs traced shapes on my hips, causing shivers to run up my spine.

"Can I ask who this person is?" I asked, tentatively.

"I can do you one better. I could show you." I nodded, inching backwards to let him off the counter. He stopped me, pulling me close and placing his lips on mine. I was shocked, not knowing whether to kiss back or not. I didn't have to decide, though, because someone cleared their throat from the doorway.

We pulled apart, turning towards the door. Noah stood there, his arms crossed. His stance sent angry waves toward us but I saw the unmistakable hurt in his eyes. I didn't know how Rex reacted, all I could focus on was Noah.

"Noah-" I started, but he held up his hand, turning around and leaving my room. I heard his door slam shut. I sighed, looking at Rex. He held an unreadable expression.

Maybe my life would be a bestseller.

*~*~*~*

It's been so long I'm so sorry!!

The past like month has been full of a breakup, my brother visiting, my ac breaking, final exams, and many other things.

And this update was longer than normal! Yay!

Give me feedback yall! I wanna know what yall think!

Until next time, my little bundles. :)

Vote. Comment. Share.