28:

Maybe it was my nerves, but I refilled my glass until the bottle was empty. It helped and I felt loose and free. My awards certificate smiled at me. After the announcements, it should've been.

My heart was full of joy. Would it be wrong if an inanimate object displayed the same emotion? After tonight, I believed anything could happen.

Pressing my hand over my face, I giggled, then reached inside my bag for my phone. "Oh my God." I bit my lip. "I need to call Nancy."

Reece's chair squeaked as he chuckled. "Go ahead, baby. Share the news."

Damn right. She was my best friend and she needed to hear it. This was huge. This was me, and despite never having read my work, Nancy was rooting for me. She'd been rooting since I met her. That's why I love her.

With a few quick taps of my menu screen, I selected Nancy's name for a video call. I could've gotten comfortable in my seat, but I needed Reece in view, too. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here.

I scooted my chair closer to him just as Nancy accepted the call. I blinked for a second. It was late at night and Nancy was prepped for bed. Her 'it's bedtime' gear was set—satin blue pajamas and a towel wrapped around her hair. She gasped once she saw who was on the phone and rolled away.

I laughed, but my heart sank. I didn't mean to embarrass her like that. "Oh, Nancy." I covered my mouth as I continued to laugh. "Girl, I'm sorry! I didn't know you'd be like this!"

I should've. Common sense, Camila. Common sense.

It took a minute before she came back on screen. The small scowl on her face was cute and funny. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing again.

"Girl," she huffed, "next time give me a heads up." Her gaze shifted. "Also, hello, Reece."

Reece had covered his face when Nancy was caught off guard. I was sure he did it out of respect, and I appreciated that he'd done that. Yet, when she greeted him, he looked at the camera with an awkward laugh. "Hey. I didn't mean to catch you off guard. I could've stepped away."

"No, no!" Sucking in a deep breath, I reached for his hand and squeezed as I looked into his eyes. "I need you present while I deliver my news."

Reece nodded, linking our fingers.

"News? This is about the writing event, right?" Nancy asked.

I squealed and nodded. It feels amazing to be so fucking happy. "I won," I whisper-shouted.

Nancy nearly jumped in bed. Her nose came close to her screen. "You won!" she excitedly screamed. "Okay. Details. What place? First, second, or third? You are better than an honorable mention—nothing against whoever got it."

My heart fluttered. "None of those." I got comfortable in my seat. "I won the grand prize!"

"Grand prize!" Because Nancy cheered, I did, too. Her legs kicked, and under the table, so did mine. "The double win!" Nancy continued. "I am SO PROUD OF YOU!"

I pulled my phone closer to my face as my grin softened. "Thank you," I said to her, then I looked toward Reece. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Reece." I needed to add that. It was the truth. I'd probably continue to say it, too.

"Wait, hold on," he said, "this is all you, babe."

I pouted and linked my fingers with his. "I wasn't the one that submitted my story. If you hadn't done it, I wouldn't be here." Looking back at the phone, I smiled at Nancy. "Actually, I have to thank you, too, bestie."

"Me? Why?" Nancy scrunched her nose.

"Because you were the one who gave me the flyer. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have thought of this contest. I wouldn't have met Reece." Squeezing his hand, I blew him a kiss. "The both of you helped me get here."