Everyone Is Wrong About You

_____

Hey guys, I'm getting better at this whole "update within the week" thing! Haha, well, I hope you enjoy this chapter and I hope all the feels come to you! (The picture above is a cute one of Aomine ;-; I don't own it ;-;)

Peace

_____

Shikamaru's POV

I rounded the corner right after Kaji, my eyes drooping slightly.

I was foolish. I saw how much Kaji had changed when she came up to me, and it wasn't that she was mean or cold hearted to me or anything, but she just seemed... So different.

Her shoulders sagged slightly as she walked. Her eyes were so vulnerable, and her smile was most of the time, from what I could tell, fake. Don't get me wrong, she had her sincere moments. But it looked like such an act to me. Like she was so torn up about something, like she was missing something from her life.

I was stupid back then. I should've seen it. Back then, a few years ago, when we played our shogi game...

Kaji growled slightly, her eyes squinted at the game board.

"Damn it all..." She mutters, moving a board game piece diagonally up and to the left. Bad move, considering that just gave me the winning point.

I smirk at her, "I win." I remark victoriously. She turns away from me slightly, jutting out her bottom lip and pouting in defeat. I let out an airy chuckle, wiping all the game pieces back into the bag that held them.

I feel Kaji looking at me deeply, however I ignore it and focus on folding the board up and placing it in the box, putting the felt bag of game pieces on top of it. I slide the top back on, looking back up at Kaji.

She looks surprised that I turned my head up so quickly, averting her eyes as fast as she could. I squint my eyes at her, seeing a sad look on her face, but I don't know why.

Maybe me defeating her in Shogi made her sad...?

Ugh, women. So confusing.

I bolt out of my thoughts when I hear a loud and painful gasp coming from Kaji, and I rush to where she is.

I suck in a breath when I see the small, burnt body pressed up against the door of the hut. I see Kaji's eyes widen, her pupils turning so small that I have to squint to see them.

"Eyes are the window to the soul, Shikamaru." Asuma-sensei breathed, breathing out a puff of smoke. "I hear that when someone is so overcome with emotion their pupils dilate to very small sizes or very large sizes, depending on what they're feeling."

Did she know this kid...?

I hear her sobs that start to drown out any other sound. It seemed as if the birds stopped chirping, the sun wasn't as warm, life was a little more dull than before.

She lets out a loud wail, hugging the tiny body, which I'm sure is not sanitary. My heart tightens in pain, knowing I wouldn't be able to do anything for her.

"Every time..." She whispers to herself, biting her lip, a small trickle of blood flowing down her chin. I was about to intervene, wanting to tell her not to hurt herself.

"Every fucking time!" She breathes out, tears stopping their flow down her face.

She starts to chuckle madly, "Every time! It seems as if I choose all these friends to trust, all these people around me..." She starts to laugh loudly, though it's sarcastic and I know she's about to crack. She gets up, starting to pace around.

"They leave! They always, always, without fail, leave me. Mom, dad, big brother, my friends... And now Aomine. Another person to add to my list. Is it some kind of giant ironic joke? Is life itself out to get me? Did I stir up something with existence? What did I do?!" She screams, falling back on her knees. Her laughs turning into sobs.

She wasn't laughing because it was funny. She was laughing because she couldn't handle it. She tried to write it off, her mind probably couldn't believe it. But now that it's fully registered in her mind...

I kneel down next to her, putting my arm around her shoulder. I sit on my butt, pressing her into me with a hug.

"It will be alright..." I tell her, trying to soothe her.

I'm startled, I've never seen her like this before. When we were rookies, she never really revealed much. Of course, the usual glare was nothing much, and sighs of disappointment in the people around her weren't too abnormal either.

Could this be the same girl that Kakashi spoke of when he came back? After they ran into a group from the Akatsuki, at a fork in the road when they realized Kaji had ran away, Kakashi described what Kaji did.

"She wasn't truly human anymore. There isn't..." He sighs sadly, "Anything we can do." He tells me, looking back up at the white ceiling.

"It took her a few seconds to snap, Shikamaru. Seconds. Once that happened, I didn't see a hint of remorse as she activated that strange jutsu. She didn't look sad at all that she was attacking her fellow Leaf Village comrades. Kaji didn't have one emotion on her face, and she attacked her friends without hesitation. She doesn't care about us... It was... Scary." He mumble to himself, his tone sad and defeated.

This couldn't be that same girl. She didn't care about attacking her comrades? Didn't care about them?

Is crying for this child mean? Heartless? Is she truly the monster that Kakashi described?

She was putting on an act. There is no doubt in my mind. Kaji, this girl, who cries so desperately for her friends...

What else could she be tucking away? Is everything some kind of wall? Maybe she just doesn't know how to deal with her emotions. I don't know what her past was like, and I sure as hell haven't lived life through her eyes, cried as many tears as her, and felt the pain she has.

And everyone is telling me how smart I am. I don't really think so, I'm just some average guy. But it doesn't take a genius to figure this out about Kaji:

Everyone is so, so wrong about her.