84. A New Attitude 💐

Just about every week, I did a performance. I did twice as many interviews and some photoshoots. Two weeks ago, I was invited to perform at the American Singers & Song Writers Awards. I would be opening the show. 

During my stage rehearsal, I heard someone shouting and clapping but I couldn't see them clearly as they stood in the auditorium. After my set, the lights in the auditorium were turned back on.

"Beautiful! Beautiful, baby girl!" A woman clapped her hands.

My eyes nearly shot out my head when I saw the legend Erma Demure. She was in the great league of Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, Tina Turner, and many more. I covered my mouth as she was helped by two men, walking onto the stage.

I shook my head in disbelief. 

"Baby girl, I am a big fan of yours! Honey, I love your look. It's a fashionable disguise."

"I can't believe this." I looked around at my backup singers and musicians. A few of them laughed and the others were just as shocked as I was.

Erma said, "I can't wait until the show is live. Honey, you are hot. Do you hear me?" She snapped her fingers. "I'm so glad you're singing that let me take you home. It reminds me of the 70s, girlfriend."

I finally found my voice. "This is such an honor, Ms. Demure."

"You are too sweet. Follow me to my dressing room." She headed backstage.

I was shaken with excitement as I walked behind her and her two guards. When we got to her dressing room, the guards stayed in the hall. Inside Erma Demure's dressing room was every kind of snack you can think of. Why didn't my dressing room look like this? Then to, I'm not Erma Demure.

"Have a seat, girlfriend!" She told me as she sat down in front of her vanity. "Talk to me, honey. Where are you from? And where'd you learn to do music like that?"

I chuckled as I sat across from her in a chair. "I'm from the South. I grew up listening to you and all the greats. My parents love soulful music."

"I knew it. It's all in your voice, and your speaking voice is so unique. It's beautiful, honey. You sound old. Oh, I hope I didn't offend you."

"No ma'am! I hear it all the time. I'm used to it by now," I admitted.

Erma grabbed a can sitting on her vanity and opened it. "Honey, grab you something to eat on and sip something. You just got off the stage." She drank from the can.

There was so much to choose from. I decided on a bag of cashews and a bottle of water.

Erma pointed at what I grabbed. "That right there is gonna slow you down. This right here - Rich Reach - is the best. Honey, it keeps me going."

"Is it an energy drink?" I asked her.

Erma nodded her head. "Yeah, and it doesn't make you feel bad afterwards like those other ones. Honey, my sister told me about this stuff almost two years ago. She takes the pills. I say the drink is better. Anyway, tell me more, girlfriend. Do you have any siblings?"

Ms. Demure is nosey, but I'm not declining anything she asks me. "No, it's just me. Well, my cousin could be considered like my sister. We're a year apart, and people always say we look alike."

"That's fun. I got 12 sisters and brothers. It's only eight of us left now. Cherish your family, baby girl. Do they visit you often?"

I nodded my head, "My cousin for sure."

"Do you have a man back home?"

I hesitated.

Erma tilted her head. "Honey, that should be an easy yes or no. Don't be playing like a single fool. He either wants you or wants to play with your heart. And you can't be no yes woman. Instead, get you a yes man."