Chapter 5

"The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while."

- Albert Einstein

Eric POV

I woke up to the sound of the alarm clock, and I let out a laud growl. I was not looking forward to today, I just wanted this day to be over so I could go to the bar and get wasted. I stepped out of the bed and walked into the bathroom to take a shower. After the shower, I brushed my teeth, pulled on my shoes and jacket, and left for breakfast. The hall was empty because everyone was already in the dining hall eating, eighteen-year-olds eagerly waiting to go to the ceremony. I opened the double doors to the dining hall and the hall went quite. I loved the feeling of power, they all feared me. They knew not to piss me off, especially since I was their leader. I grabbed my breakfast and sat down at the leaders' table. Lauren and Max were chatting, but I could care less about what they were saying, my thoughts where somewhere else. That girl everyone was talking about yesterday, what was so special about her? Why did I even care about some silly little girl anyway? My thoughts were interrupted when Aaron waved a hand in front of my eyes.

"Hello, earth to Eric. What were you thinking about? You just zooned out."

"It's nothing, just have a lot on my mind that's all. Anyway, what's your plans for tonight? Want to go to the bar for drinks?"

"Yeah, sure why not. I can do with some drinking."

"Good."

"Listen, today I want everyone to behave. Aaron you are going to the ceremony with Kristin. Lauren, you will be at the bottom of the net with Four, and Eric you're with me at the entrance welcoming the new initiatives." Max informed us.

After breakfast, I went back to my apartment to read for a while before I had to get to the roof. Dauntless had a small library with different books from before the war. I had borrowed a few books, and I was currently reading A Clockwork Orange. After about two hours, I left my apartment, and went up to the roof with Max to wait for the new initiatives.

"So, do you think there will be any Divergents among them?" Max asked me.

"I don't know, I guess we just have to wait and see." I said before we heard the train approach. We stood on the ledge by the entrance waiting for the initiatives to jump off. I watched how they jumped, some landing on their feet, obviously Dauntless born, while the rest rolled on the ground. One girl caught my eye though. She was short, blond almost white long hair that was braided, and she was wearing black and white clothes, she was from Candor. But what struck me the most was her smile, it was one of those that could melt even the coldest of hearts. I looked up to see what or rather whom she was smiling at. That dickhead Kevin was smiling at her and helping her to her feet. I averted my gaze to the rest of the newly formed group in front of us. When everyone was there, I started talking.

"Alright, listen up. I'm Eric. I'm one of your leaders. Several stories below us is the members 'entrance to our compound. You have to jump from here. If you feel like you cannot do it, you don't belong here." I scanned the group and saw them tense up at what I just said.

"Is there something at the bottom?" An Erudite guy asked.

"Of course, there is something down there. Why else would they want us to jump, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out." Someone said. I looked over to see who it was, when I saw everyone starring at the Candor girl.

"I said that out loud, didn't I?" The candor girl said. I jumped down from the ledge and walked up to her. She bit her bottom lip, and I eyed her for a second, then smirked.

"You did smart mouth. Now, since you're so sure there is something down there, why don't you go on and prove it." She looked me in the eyes and sighed.

"Sure, why not." She said and shrugged. I was a little taken back by her bluntness, but I got to admit, the girl got guts.