Till It Bleeds Daylight (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Brock here has dealt with the leak. But we can never be sure if that's the only one, and...Steve, Hydra is about to do great things. We can't risk anything going awry."

"I understand Sir."

"Didn't I tell you to call me John?" Garrett says, smirking and taking another sip of his drink. "Rumlow will fill you in on what else you need to know. Things are going to change, kid, and I'd love for you to be a part of it."

Steve nods, glancing at Rumlow, who's studying him. "Well, John, I would love that too," he says, smirking back.

"Good. That's good. Just make sure to remember what I told you."

"I will," Steve says, and with that Garrett gets out of his chair.

"Well. I think we're done here then. Let Rumlow fill you in, and then you can go home. Rollins will drive me home today" Garrett leaves, his glass of whiskey still half full on the desk, Rollins in tow, until it's just Steve and Rumlow.

pulling on his jacket. "Well, why don't we see about that then?"

The guy grins at him. "Lead the way," he says.

Steve doesn't give himself the chance to overthink this much longer, pushing away from the bar and making his way towards the door. He shivers a little when the cold air hits him.

"You live close...?" the guy asks.

"Steve. And uhm, yeah, just a couple of blocks away." That was his first mistake, really, going to a bar so close to his apartment.

The guy nods. "James."

They walk mostly in silence, glancing at each other every so often, and Steve feels excited nerves bubble up in him the closer they get. It's been a while since he's done this, rationality usually winning from desire over the months he's been undercover. He knows taking this guy home is a mistake too, and when they get to his apartment, he almost starts to reconsider. He shouldn't have brought anyone here. For one, because associating with Steve could be dangerous, and two, because he should know better than to pick someone up in a Hydra infested neighbourhood.

But James...James is tall, gorgeous, looks strong and a little dangerous, and it's exciting. Besides, Steve would never call himself a good decision maker.

So he invites James inside, against his better judgement, and pretty soon, he can't get himself to regret any of it.

They've barely made their way into the apartment when James pushes him up against a wall, diving in for a heated kiss that makes Steve's head spin. They kiss for a while, James quickly deepening the kiss, tongues sliding against each other, and James tastes of whiskey, of something sweet, and Steve doesn't think he can ever get enough.

James pushes the jacket off Steve's shoulders before lifting up the hem of Steve's shirt, and Steve gets the message, lifting his arms up to help James take it off. Once his shirt joins his jacket on the floor, James is back on him in an instant. He nips and licks and kisses down the side of Steve's neck, and Steve has to close his eyes, relishing in the feel of James' slight stubble against his skin.

take off his clothes. It still confuses Steve, at first - how such a gorgeous man with a clearly toned body can feel self-conscious like James seems to, until...until James takes his shirt off, and even in the low-lit room, Steve can make out a chest littered with scars.