Chapter 11

Chyronex's POV

I wake up with my head hanging down heavy, my body held up by iron chains around my wrists in the catacombs of Uldaya.

Around me, thousands of demon skulls and bones are piled on top of one another, from Torrent's own conquests over demon kind – the greatest Mystifyer to have ever lived, Zarcar's older brother and Lixar's cousin, until he mysteriously disappeared.

He had been a part of my Venatores once, a long time ago.

Still, his legacy lives on down here, making the chamber I am housed within.

Usually criminals set for execution were sent down here the day before their death, to reconcile where there bones would be laid – with those who belonged in hell.

Right now, it's my 'temporary' prison.

A single oil lamp provides me with light, set on the floor.

I can't even hear water, only a slight echo of my own breathing.

I had woken to cold chills running up and down my spine, death so close it's inches from me.

The lantern flickers with red flame and the light in the catacomb cell is red – unusually blood red. There was a demon here.

I hunted demons, but here I am, chained up and at the mercy of evil.

The demon lurking in the room, hunted humans.

I'm done for.

The demon is behind me.

I feel a cold blade touch my neck and I lift my head, closing my eyes, preparing to die.

But the blade just as quickly leaves my neck, showing unexpected hesitation.

No demon would hesitate unless they had a human half.

Lycan.

I hear soft feet pad around the cold floor, so I can look at the face of my want-to-be killer.

Rage so cold, turns my nerve endings numb and I forget how to breathe as I stare up at my daughter's killer.

Onyx stands naked as a young adult man, only 19 and so ferocious already – although this is a rare moment I see logic running through his head.

I glare through him, but I can't use my magic, I can't shift to my draconess... and now I'm stuck with him down here.

He dares visit me after what he did.

I might just change my mind about letting him live.

"You came to gloat?" I whisper.

Onyx's red eyes search mine as he tilts his head to the left.

"Chyronex. It's a shame I never got to see you hunting demon spawn," Onyx drawls, twirling his blade between his fingers, it's not big, it's bloody and used already, a simple blade for sacrificing lambs, "I wish I could have seen you as your dragon – even with your Venatores. I've never seen such a creature that is so feared–"

"I don't want to hear this! You killed my daughter so why the hell are you here for me?" I cut him off with a snarl, "Why did you kill Uleya, why?"

Onyx has the audacity to flinch, just before he looks away into the shadows and doesn't pace and doesn't breathe, as he just thinks.

I roll my eyes to my chains and I jerk on them, but they're not loose.

I'm completely, utterly, at his mercy.

This was incredibly enraging.

"...I can't lie to you..." Onyx murmurs, looking inward, as if speaking to himself, "...I can't really say anything about it..." he glances to me, "That's what you get for using your daughter in a curse against me."