Prologue

XXXX

====================================

The ocean around you was a blur of colours. Your richly coloured tail best powerfully as you swam, dodging nets and wriggling out of ropes. It wasn't supposed to be like this, you were supposed to be home with your father the only family you had left. It wasn't fair!

You belong to a race known as sea nymphs, not to be mistaken as merfolk. Sea nymphs do look like merfolk when they are in sea water, but can sprout legs on land and pass as human. They possess small amounts of magical control over weather, sea plants, marine life, and water. But very few have more than one ability. It wasn't rare and people could learn to control more magic, everyone was just born with a natural affinity for one category. The sea nymphs are born with a focus stone, a magic stone attached to their life force they use in order to access these powers. Traditionally each family has a set pattern for the jewelry the stone is put in. To use the stone it must be in contact with its owner, such as a necklace, chestpiece, headband, or brace. Your mother had a silver head band with her stone she could control marine life, she listened and talked to animals, she was one of the most skilled in your kingdom. For she was the beast master for the king. Your father had a gilded silver necklace and he could control plants and water currents, it made him a formidable fighter. You lived your entire life in the reef kingdom. It was a relatively peaceful kingdom, too shallow for anything really dangerous to enter but deep enough to not be seen by passing human ships. You were very young when your king started a pointless turf war with a neighboring kingdom. Your parents fought in it, which cost your mother and crippled your father. The king was old and crazy, wanting to relive his glory days. He along with hundreds of other sea nymphs died in the war. Leaving his spoiled ass of a son to lead the kingdom, this prince thought he could have whatever he wanted. You just happened to be one of the things he wanted.

Because your father denied the prince his blessing and marriage proposal of the him. My father was viewed as a barrier and was murdered for it. You were going to be forced into a marriage but you escaped, you spit in the princes face and escaped. You saw an island and made a beeline for it, when you reached land you scrambled out of the water knowing the other Sea Nymphs wouldn't follow for fear of being seen by humans. As far as they know you are as good as dead if you were seen by a human, they also know that you wouldn't be stupid enough to return to the water. You flopped onto the beach and grunt with pain as your tail splits and your scales melt into skin, you stand up a little bit wobbly on your new legs.

So here you are now, a runaway bride to the a stuck up prince and homeless, you stumble to a nearby village in nothing but a few rags you found. You tried to be careful and not get spotted as you try to figure out how to steal some proper clothing. At the edge of the village near a shack you stumpled upon a clothing line full of drying clothes, you start to reach for one, but an throat was cleared next to you. You turn your head startled and ready to book it. The old woman and instantly recognized your necklace and focus stone, and in turn, you as a Sea Nymph and ushered you inside her home.

She was kind and gave you proper clothes. A pair of trousers and a loose white cotton shirt. She allowed you to live with her, as long as you helped her with the villagers and around the house. You readily agreed to help her and you decided it probably would be easy living on land with the humans.

Though you found that you had a burning urge to return to the ocean. But your future was set in stone as soon as you spit in that Prince's face.

====================================