Twenty-One - Buck Me

Start from the beginning

My face twisted in thought, "I can see if I can borrow my brother's car, until I can find a new one. It just sits in our driveway right now, since he's off studying abroad for the year in Germany." I was sure my mom was fine with it, but I was also worried she wouldn't let me drive ever again. It was always a toss up with her.

"Well, let me know. I wouldn't mind going car shopping with you. That actually sounds fun. Though, I'm gonna get some rest. Text me when you get home." I heard a soft kiss sound from her and I smiled.

"I will. Get some rest, love." I made a kiss sound back and we hung up.

The doctor came in and released me, mentioning how to keep my cuts clean and gave me a script for pain meds. I wasn't gonna take them, but I'd get them just in case. My usual med for pain was Tylenol. "You can be on your way now, Mr. Evans. If you have questions or get worse, just give us a call."

I nodded, "Thanks, doc." I hopped off the bed and headed to the emergency room lobby. I got a text from my mom saying she was in front of the doors. I left and got into the car. "Thanks for picking me up, mom." I yawned.

"You're welcome, sweetie. I'm just glad you're okay. Orchad Road can be dangerous at night. Wildlife is always poking around that bend." She told me. "Oh, and since you don't have a car, you can use your brothers. He won't mind and I know you need to take Emmi and her brother to school."

I gave her a questionable look, "How did you know I did that?"

"Maddox, I'm your mother. I notice more than you think. You've been leaving the house at six instead of seven-fifteen for almost a month and a half now. I figured you were picking someone up. And I figured it was Emmi and her brother, because you've mentioned Emmi a few times. And you read to Brooks on Wednesdays."

"When did I mention Emmi to you?" I raised my brows.

"The last time you mentioned her was when she wasn't herself. You actually noticed something was off, which you don't do often unless you care about them. You've never been so captivated by someone since you were twelve and even then it was never like this." She explained.

I went silent. She was right. Back when I was twelve, I had no idea what love was. I thought love was Penelope, but I was so wrong. I don't know what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't love back then. The feelings I have now, towards Emmi, are strong and definitely something I had never felt with Penelope. I didn't want to jump at saying it was love, but maybe it was.

The rest of the car ride was quiet, besides the radio my mom had turned on to an hard rock station. I always found her taste in music interesting. She was a sweet nurse that worked with cancer kids, so her listening to hard rock was scary sometimes. Though, whenever she did listen to it, it meant she had a rough day at work and then she'd cry it out in her bedroom or in the shower. "You okay, mom?" I asked.

She stopped at a stop light and turned to me, tears in her brown eyes, "I got a call on the way to pick you up about a kid at work. I'll be okay." She gave a half smile.

"Was it little Elaina?" Knowing a few of her patients, I knew some weren't doing great. Little Elaina was one of them.

She didn't say anything, which indicated it was. I had met Elaina a few times when visiting my mom. She was my little sisters age, so seven, and had some type of brain cancer. It was stage four and her parents were told she had several months to live. They were told that when she was five, and from my mom's expressions and actions, I assumed she had passed today at some point. Elaina was such a sweet girl, very optimistic even if she knew she didn't have much time left. My stomach tied itself into knots and I felt my throat get sore.

I hated seeing my mom like this. Yeah, it was part of her job that she loved, but it hurt me seeing her grieve so much over her kids. "I'm sorry, mom." I told her softly as the car started moving again.

"Thank you, honey. I'll be okay in a day or two. Always am. I have to be." She grabbed my hand gently squeezing it.

I squeezed it back, "I know, but sometimes it's okay not to be."

"I know, kiddo. That's why I have therapy once a month. It lets me not be okay. I love my job, but it does take a toll on me emotionally sometimes. And that's okay."

I nodded and stayed quiet the rest of the way home, which wasn't long. My mom parked the car in the garage and I got out but she didn't. "Do you want me to stay with you?" I asked, before heading inside.

"No. I'll be in in a few minutes." She told me. I watched her turn the car off, take the keys out of the ignition and turn her music up loud, so my sister nor I could hear her cries of sadness and anger.

I closed the garage door that lead into the house and went to my room slowly. My adrenaline high was gone so I was feeling more sore than before. I texted Emmi, letting her know I made it home and said good night with a kissing emoji. I set my phone down on my chest and fell asleep on top of my covers still in my day clothes.