Chapter 21: Miss You in a Heartbeat

Chapter 21

Miss You in a Heartbeat

By the following weekend, I still hadn’t heard from Caleb. I have been trying to show restraint with this whole break up thing, but its not easy this time. I’m not saying my break up with Shane was a walk in the park, because of all the drama that took place afterwards, but this one definitely hurts more than the other one. Shane and I may have been together longer than Caleb and I, but I had stronger feelings for Caleb, I figured out what being in love really felt like with him. Even if Caleb and I never get back together, I will never regret a second of our time together.

The rest of that week at school, Caleb avoided me as much as possible, although that is definitely not an easy task, seeing as we have all the same classes.

He always made sure I went into class before him, so he could make sure he sat as far away from me as possible, and the second the bell rang, he was out the door before anyone else.

But what can I do? The last thing I want to do is push him farther away, and I know pestering him about talking to me won’t help our situation.

What’s even worse is I don’t think Caleb has talked to anyone since the day of our break up. He hasn’t talked to Amanda, Rachel, or Ryan, which really surprises me. Ryan is his best friend; its so unlike him to not talk to him

I then hear a knock on my door; probably Amanda and Rachel. They’ve been over here every night since Caleb broke up with me. They’re spending the night tonight. I then pull myself up off the couch, walk to the front door to open it.

When I pull the door open I am greeted by a wide-eyed and hopeful Amanda, she then asks, “Anything?”

I then feel my shoulders slump, and I sigh, “Nothing…”

Amanda then shakes her head, and makes her way into my house, followed by Rachel. “I swear to God, if that boy doesn’t come to his senses soon, I’m gonna march over to his house and kick his sorry little ass!” Rachel fumes, and slumps down onto my couch. “I don’t know what the hell is wrong with him…If he would just listen to anybody, this mess could be settled. But nooooo,” she drawls out, “he’s got to be a stubborn little prick head.”

“Do you know if he’s talked to Ryan yet?” I ask, returning to my spot on the couch. The spot I haven’t moved from since this morning.

“I don’t think so,” answers Amanda. “I texted Ryan this morning and I asked him if he had talked to Caleb any, and he said he hadn’t.”

“This has gotten way to out of hand…What if he never listens to me?” I ask, panic rising.

“He will, I know he will… The only question is when.” Amanda then sighs, and then jumps up from her spot next to me. I narrow my brow in confusion as I follow her with my eyes. She then kneels down at her overnight bag, and pulls out a something that looks like tickets, and then hides them behind her as she goes to face us. She is trying to hide the smile from her face as she stares at me and Rachel.

“Amanda? What are you doing? What do to you have behind your back?” asks Rachel, eyeing Amanda suspiciously, and all the while trying to peek behind her back.

“I have a surprise for you both! I swear it will turn this night around for sure…” she says, and pulls what I can now see are definitely tickets from behind her back, and begins fanning herself with them. I then squint my eyes at them to try to read what they say, but with little success. “Guess who we are seeing tonight?” she asks, practically bursting with excitement.