Chapter 2: Amnesia

She was so confused and as she straightened out in the bed the pain intensified enough that she let out a yelp. Examining her injuries, she found that there were angry red marks twined around her left leg and another crisp burn that appeared right below her hairline on her neck. What could've caused her to get so badly scorched?

She heard the rustling of the revolving door knob and gasped. She was terrified of who she would be confronted with, but who came through the door was not what she pictured at all. She pictured a maniac, a kidnapper, but instead she was faced with a jolly aged man with a large stomach and a kind smile.

"Well I see that you are awake." The man smiled at her and set down the cup and teapot that he was holding on the night table beside her. "Yes. It would seem that way." She cautiously responded. "Who are you?" She questioned as he pulled up a chair at her bedside.

"My name is Iroh." He replied. "And you are on my nephew's ship." This took her by surprise. A ship? Why on earth would she be on a ship? "What is your name child?" He asked her but she wasn't entirely sure how to respond because even she would love to know the answer to that question.

"I don't remember." She said and sighed "I don't remember anything". "Sounds like you have amnesia. But I need to have something to call you. How about Kaori?" She liked the sound of that. "Kaori it is." She smiled "at least for now."

"Of course. I do hope that you will recover your memories Miss Kaori." She appreciated the man's kindness, but she was still very much disoriented, confused, and in pain. "Do you have any idea what happened to me?" She questioned the jolly man. "That is something that we should discuss over tea." He replied his eyes lighting up as he talked about the soothing drink.

Iroh took care while pouring the steaming tea into two separate cups and handing one to Kaori. "Jasmine?" She guessed inhaling the steamy aroma. "One of my personal favourites." Iroh remarked as his eyes crinkled. "It smells wonderful." She sighed taking her first sip of the hot liquid. It tasted wonderful too, the jasmine calming her senses and the flavours satisfying her taste buds.

She didn't remember ever drinking tea before but she recognized the flavour and the calming effect that it had on her. Maybe it was something that Kaori drank when she was sick or maybe to calm her nerves? She didn't know, but she savoured the feeling nonetheless so much so that she almost forgot about her predicament. Almost.

After sitting in silence for a long while Kaori placed her teacup on the bedside table. "I take it that you are curious?" Chuckled Iroh and she nodded sheepishly. "Yes I am but I'm just so confused. I don't know who I am or how I got here!" She got a little more desperate at the end of her sentence finally starting to grasp the seriousness of the situation.

She had to have a family-maybe. Would they miss her? Are they looking for her? How is it that one can just wake up with no memory of anything before? She didn't even know how old she was! Tears began to prick at her eyes and she could feel her throat tightening.

"I am deeply sorry that this has happened to you Miss Kaori, and to answer one of your questions we found you in the water. My nephew and some of the crew saw a blue light and then all of the sudden you were in the water and drowning." That made no sense to Kaori people aren't supposed to just appear and what about the blue light that certainly wasn't normal.

"Blue light?" She inquired hoping to get more information on what exactly had happened to her. "Yes. A peculiar beam of blue light shone up in the sky and in that moment you were suddenly in the water. My nephew believed the blue light was connected to the avatar so we are headed towards the source as we speak." What did he mean by avatar? She wondered. Was that supposed to be common knowledge because she had no idea what that was.

"What's an avatar?" Kaori questioned truly puzzled by the strange place that she had found herself in and with her question Iroh looked a bit baffled himself. He stared at her for a while before speaking "Your amnesia must be worse than I thought is there anything at all that you remember?"

Kaori paused for a moment and then closed her eyes she thought as hard as she could so she could remember something. Anything. And for one single moment she saw a fire and she gasped and opened her eyes. If she has no other memories then why was that one so strong? She could almost still feel the deadly fire licking across her skin. She knew that something else had happened too. Something important. Something that hurt her more than the burns that not mark her body. She somehow just knew but no matter how hard she tried she just couldn't remember.

After a while Kaori noticed that Iroh's question still hung in the air so she tried to answer him. "I feel li-" she was caught of by the shout of what sounded like a teenage boy. "Uncle!" He yelled which startled he and caused her to lose her train of thoughts. "Uncle where are you?" He continued and Iroh smiled at Kaori somewhat apologetically before answering.  "I am in your room nephew" he spoke while he picked up his teapot to refill Kaori's empty cup.

A grunt was heard from outside the door and the hinges swung open to reveal a well built teenager dressed in fire nation armor. Kaori's cheeks reddened slightly as the boy strode into the room and turned to his uncle. The boy talked as if Kaori wasn't in the room and questioned his uncle harshly. "Uncle. Why didn't you notify me the moment that the prisoner was awake?" He said which caused Kaori to shrink back. The boy had called her a prisoner, was that really what she was?

"Nephew I didn't notify you because I wanted to make our GUEST comfortable and attend to her injuries." Iroh spoke while putting an extra emphasis on the word guest which calmed Kaori's nerves slightly. The boy visibly huffed before turning to Kaori and addressing her directly for the first time. "Uncle leave us!" He shouted at Iroh who smiled at me before collecting his tea tray and retreating.

"Tell me your name peasant" Iroh's nephew spoke and then seemed to think before continuing "and why were you in the water. If my uncle is going to allow you to stay as a guest then I must know these things first." He said still looking quite suspicious of her

Kaori frowned before answering the boy. She wished she could tell him, maybe then he would stop being so suspicious of her but she couldn't so she simply responded "I can't remember." And when The boy seemed to glare at her un trustingly she hesitated before adding "but Kaori" she said the name sounded foreign coming off her tongue. "You can call me Kaori" he hesitated before mumbling whatever or something before walking away.

"Wait!" She called and his head turned in acknowledgement "I don't know your name" she said and he responded "Zuko. Prince Zuko and don't you forget it" before shutting the door with unnecessary strength and disappearing from her sight.

Prince Zuko. That sounded familiar somehow. But he made no indication of being familiar with her so sighed and closed her eyes hoping to lose herself in a dream.