Chapter 17

"Hello. I am senior inspector Jackson Wang. This is officer Bang Chan. Are you Avery Collins?" Jackson asks as the door to 202 is opened. It was currently 2:30 in the night and Daniel was hella confused as to why was someone ringing their doorbell repeatedly so late. But all his sleepiness and confusion was was washed away when he saw the two officers, replacing it with dread.

"I'm Daniel Hunt, Avery Collins is my roommate." Daniel answers. "Oh okay. Can we come in Daniel?" Jackson asks softly making Daniel nod. He opens the door wider, letting the two officers enter the apartment. "Hey, what's going on?" Avery asks as he enters the living room with his bed hair.

"You must be Avery Collins. I'm Jackson Wang and this is Bang Chan." Jackson introduces himself and Chan once again. "We are here because of Lee Katherine and Lee Jihoo. We were informed that their daughter, Lee Eun, was left under your custody for the night. Is it correct?" Jackson asks, his gaze switching between Avery and Daniel.

"Yes. She is with us. But what is the issue officer?" Avery asks his tone a little tense. "Lee Katherine and Lee Jihoo were caught red handed drug dealing. Lee Katherine was shot which raised alarm and the two were caught. Along with three others. Apparently a argument broke out between the two parties and it resulted in Katherine getting shot." Jackson explains to the duo who looked extremely shocked.

Katherine had painted a picture of a perfect family for them. And they had believed it. Now it all made sense to the two. The cries that they had been hearing since the past couple of days had to be Eun's. There were no other kids in their apartment building other than Eun.

"Um officers we might have some extra information." Daniel says and Avery nods, backing him up. "What is it?" Chan asks, fearing his earlier doubts about the couple to be true. "Since a couple of days we had been hearing cries of a child and loud cursing. Sounds of a man hitting a child. But when we looked and asked around we didn't find nothing. But now we think that it might be Eun." Daniel states, rubbing his hands.

"Can you bring in Eun, please?" Chan asks, his voice cracks but he quickly covers it up by clearing his throat. Guilt was coursing through his veins and he felt as if he had failed the child. All of this could have been avoided. There had to be something they could have done but he did nothing. The system did nothing. And it all resulted in Eun getting hurt. Jackson pats Chan's back knowing the thoughts coursing through his head.

"Sure." Avery says as he goes inside his bedroom. Eun walks out a couple of moments later, rubbing her eyes. She glances at the two officers in the room and her moments halt when she sees the familiar face of Chan.

"Hey there sweetie, remember me?" Chan asks softly as he crouches down to Eun's level. Eun nods and then breaks into cries as she remembers her first encounter with him. He had asked if her parents hurt her, they did and they had done it again. "It's okay. It's okay. It's all going to be fine." Chan says as he brings the girl into his arms, rubbing her back.

"They- they hit more. Don't- don't want to be with appa and eomma. Want to be with Jinnie and Joonie. Please." Eun says as she clutches Chan's uniform in her hands. Chan's heart breaks after hearing her words. "Yes sweetie. You can be with Jinnie and Joonie. I'm so sorry you had to go back to your eomma and appa. I'm so sorry baby." Chan says softly, his eyes moist with the unshead tears.

"Minho is going to be here soon." Jackson informs Chan, who nods in response. "It's all gonna be okay sweetie. You are safe now. Your eomma and appa won't come back." Jackson says softly to the little girl in Chan's arms. "Promise?" Eun asks Jackson softly. "Promise." Jackson says with a small smile as he caresses Eun's hair.

"Jinnie? Joonie?" Eun asks looking towards Chan. "We'll call them soon. We just need to get a few things done. Then you can go with them. I promise." Chan says making Eun nod. "I'm sorry if we are a little late." Minho says as they enter the apartment, Hyunjin trailing behind him. "It's fine. No worries." Jackson reassures the duo.

"Hello little one." Hyunjin cooes as Eun is quick to wrap her little arms around him. "Are you sleepy?" Hyunjin asks gently as he caresses Eun's hair, the little girl nodding her head in response. "You can go to sleep baby. Everything is okay now." Hyunjin says softly as he rubs her back.

Chan gets to work, taking the boys detailed statements and signatures. Minho takes his own notes and signatures from the two men and police officers. "You might be called to the station again if required." Chan informs the duo, who nod in response. Thanking the two younger men, Chan, Jackson, Minho and Hyunjin leave their apartment with Eun. One thought in all their minds.

Atleast Eun's safe now.

[A/N: Here's a short update guys. It's not that great but it is what it is. Let me know what you guys think. Hope you all are doing well. Take care everyone! 💜💜💜]