Karube x GN!Reader

Genre: Angst (TW: Death)
Romantic
In which he realizes he loves you a little too late
(wolf and sheep game, different ending)

["Some people fall in love
With the wrong people sometimes"]

Y/N and Karube had been close friends since high school. At least that's what Y/N thought. No, Y/N was the one that thought of him as her close best friend. He merely thought about Y/N as someone who would burden him from time to time.

He didn't care the slightest about stuff they'd tell him, or the stuff they gave him. Y/N L/N was a mere obstacle in his path that he wanted to get rid of.

Y/N knew of course, but they didn't care. Karube didn't now it, but when Y/N felt down, they always went to Karube for comfort. Even if he didn't reassure them or make them feel better, Y/N felt comfort just being with him; and Y/N figured that was enough.

What he didn't know was that Y/N L/N was in love with him, but decided it would be better to keep their mouth shut about it.

Y/N would always stop by at the bar he worked at 2 hours before his shift ended. They'd come with small gifts for him or store-bought food. For the entire 2 hours Y/N told him about their day, or the places they could go to if only Karube accepted their request to hang out. As always, Karube would coldly decline. He didn't want Y/N there in the first place, so he was always irritated on the last 2 hours of his shift.

"Hey Daikichi, I have something for you" Y/N waved as they entered the bar, handing a small parcel to him with a ribbon tied around it. He just scoffed, taking it and looking at it with disgust before shoving it into his locker where he kept his bag and extra clothes.

"For the last time L/N, we aren't close. Just because we almost practically grew up together doesn't mean you can use my first name."

"I've known you a year longer than Arisu-kun and Chota-san. You let them call you 'Daikichi', so why can't I?" 

"I don't even want to be friends with you, so why should I let you?" He looked at them incredulously before rolling his eyes and turning away to continue his work.

Y/N had to admit it hurt their feelings, but they only smiled sadly and shook his head.

"I'm here now though, so deal with it" They teased playfully.

<><><>

They found themselves in the borderlands a few weeks ago, and the four stuck together. Karube found it annoying, but since Y/N didn't have anywhere to go and they kept begging to stay, Karube let them in the end. Y/N enjoyed it, but they didn't notice how annoyed Karube got as more days rolled by. The group loved Y/N since they were so optimistic, and they were encouraged because of them. Not Karube though, it just irritated the crap out of him.

They'd just finished a tag game, Karube was shot and Y/N was fussing about it. They'd grabbed a medical kit and was arranging everything as Karube lay slumped on the couch. Y/N finally turned to him holding a wet rag to wipe down the blood as they lofted his polo. "It'll hurt of course, but you need to remain still-" They were cut off as Karube slapped their hand away, shoving them harshly making them stumble to the ground.

"Can you not touch me?" He snapped, sitting up. "All you've ever done while you were with us is be an annoying little burden. You think blabbering endlessly with that big mouth of yours will do anything, huh? Since no one is telling you the truth, I might as well. You've been completely useless the entire time, yapping about being optimistic. I can't even be happy when you're around! All you'll ever be is an annoying prick, Y/N. So stop trying to make yourself seem important."