Nothing.

His butt was getting sore and he wanted to be free of his big metal captor, but he couldn’t see a way out. Then the mossy forest bed started rising up and Ron saw they were on some kind of lowering platform. Any hope he had of a search party finding him here disappeared with him into the dirt. The lift stopped at what must have been fifty feet below and the robot stepped off. Then it rose up, sealing the room in total darkness. The robot waited again. Ron couldn’t see his hands in front of his face and all he could hear was the thrashing and incoherent screams of the man in the robots other arm. He wanted to be anywhere else. A few seconds later a door in front of them slid open to the side, revealing a bright white corridor.

The light was blinding to Ron but he placed his hands in front of his eyes and squinted trying to see what he was being lead into. All he could see was white. The robot strode in on his huge legs at a pace of an Olympic sprinter. The ride was much less smooth for Ron than when the robot had been flying. Soon Ron could see a floor below him, blank white walls, and a matching ceiling above. A minute or so later the walls were broken up with broad windows and Ron could see huge rooms full of people. Not one of them looked up from their work or seemed to notice the giant robot carrying Ron and the screaming man down the hall. They wore lab coats and were scurrying between desks, robotic assistants, and massive machines. Some were looking into telescopes and others at displays on large screens.

The robot stopped and turned into a doorway. Inside was a smaller room than the ones Ron had seen before. The robot released Ron into the arms of three scientist who forced him onto a table. There his wrists, waist, and ankles were strapped down.

“What are you going to do to me? What’s going on here? This can’t be legal!” Ron yelled.

A tall man with a stern face spoke to him while he tied a rubber tourniquet around Ron’s arm.

“Oh don’t worry. We’re just going to take some blood, that’s all. Nothing to worry about.”

“You can’t just take my blood without my consent!” Ron screamed.

The man began to push on Ron’s arm with his fingers, looking for a good vein to draw blood from.

“Come on. If you stop squirming around there’s a good chance I’ll only have to poke you once. Then it’ll all be over, so just hold still a minute and you’ll be on your way.”

“On my way? I can go back to work?”

The scientist laughed as he rubbed an alcohol wipe over a spot on Ron’s arm.

“Oh I don’t think Dr. Mansfield will let you go just yet, but you won’t be strapped to a table anymore if what you say is true. So how bout it, did he bite you?”

“Like I told the robot, no he didn’t bite me.”

“Well if you’re right that’s very good. Make a fist.”

“What?”

“Never had your blood drawn or something? Make a fist please.”

Ron didn’t see a way out of his situation so he made a fist. He wished he wasn’t strapped down so his fist could break the nose of the scientists hovering over him.

“Now hold still, and I’ll find out for sure. This won’t take long.”

The man lifted a thin needle to Ron’s arm.

“There will be a little pinch.”

Ron flinched as the needle plunged into his flesh, but it wasn’t that bad. He looked down and saw his own dark red blood being pulled from his arm through a clear plastic tube into a syringe. The scientist took off the tourniquet, then pushed a piece of cotton onto the puncture site and taped it down. He replaced needle on the syringe with a vacutainer tube and pushed the blood into it.