Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Waking up early in the morning is great task itself. We have to get up early because the moving crew that would help us move said they would come around 10 because they have other appointments the same day. At eleven-thirty, in the morning the movers finish loading our things at the back of their big white moving truck. Mom tells them to go on ahead first, and the landlord will meet them if we are late.

Not long after the haul truck leaves the realtor arrives to collect the key, and lock the home.

"I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Harris," The petite brunnette lady says in a southern tone, although her face scrunches when she says it, it seems fake. Her eyes seem to twinkle in some sort of excitement, telling me otherwise. She offers her manicured hand to my mom.

I stop my eyes from narrowing. Mom seems to be oblivious of realtor's farce.

"Thank you," mom utters, taking the realtors hand, shaking it firmly.

"I wish you the best," she replies, at this time her phone rings. Mom takes that as our cue to leave. "If you'll excuse me; goodbye, take care." She beams, exposing her bleach white teeth, the same smile we see around town plastered on the bus stops benches.

"Goodbye," mom replies, but she seems to be looking somewhere beyond the realtor, sadness in her eyes.

My arm wraps around her shoulder stirring her towards the passenger's side of the silver 2010 Honda Corola before she cries again, the only thing we own.
It wasn't much of an adjustment, as we only had two vehicles to begin with; the other vehicle was sold sometime after my dad's long arduous battle with cancer. He had been practical when he was still working, and only bought what we need. He once had told me about his struggles in Korea as an young orphan after both his parents died from a house fire, until his aunt found her and took him in, loving him like her own. Unfortunately, her aunt, and her husband passed away before I was even born. Maybe because of this humble beginning, he placed so much value on simplicity, and giving others rather than lavishly living his life. I admired that part of him.

I feel my pocket for my keys  Pressing the electronic remote keys to open the car, deciding that she is not in a good condition to drive. Opening the door, putting the seat belt around her. She smiles weakly, "Thanks, sweetie."

Looking back on the lonely desolated home for the last time, I bid it, and the town of Augustine goodbye.

***

We hit the highway in no time, and after an hour of navigating, we park at a inconspicuous parking lot surrounded by two story apartments. Despite losing our way more than ones, we have managed to get there ahead of the movers. Looking at the infrastructure of the building, every unit is identical. All have a small balcony on the second floor that protrudes, covering the areas on the first floor. I deem it safe to live in- or at least that's what I convince myself to feel- however it's befallen facade suggests. I find mom talking to a jolly stocky balding man with a prominent nose, white hair and patchy skin. He takes my mom's hand and shake it cheerfully.

"You must be Nora! Glad to meet ya, dear! Now here's the key to your new apartment and..." he reached into his pocket and took out a business card " here's my card, if you need anything or something's wrong with the apartment make sure to tell me!" He glances around and catches me on sight. He took three long strides towards me and took my hand and shook it with vigour.

"You must be Emily! I'm Gary. A pleasure," he say as he gives me a kind smile.

"Nice to meet you, sir." I smile at him and he let go of my hand. He strides towards the shaded area and leads us to our apartment.

We pass three doors before stopping on a gray door with there were two deadbolt locks and a door knob. I swallow hard seeing the number of deadbolt locks on our door. I automatically assumed that it might be a challenging neighbourhood to live in. Looking at the landlord, he seems to immediately understand the root of my concerns.

"Don't worry dear, your neighbours are nice. This neighbourhood is not that bad either. It's just a precaution, you know how it is; times are changing," he replies in a matter-of-fact tone.

Mom unlocks the door while Mr Oak as I start a conversation about the neighbourhood and where the hospital, school -that I'm supposed to attend-, the mall and the nearest convenient store is located. It's pretty useful, considering that I have no idea where we are at the moment. Now, I have a small sketch in my mind of how our small neighbourhood looks like.

"Excuse me, Mr. Oak we can take it from here. Thanks for your warm welcome, we really appreciate it. Come on, Emily. Let's check the apartment out," my huffs as she enters the door.

"You guys get settled in. Give me a call if anything's wrong with the apartment. But I'm pretty sure it's all set now," Mr. Oak replies with uncertainty in his voice, he's somehow suspicious.

We explore the whole house in a matter of minutes. It is rather small compared to our old house but it's just peachy, as long as it doesn't collapse on us. I make a mental note however to change the bright orange walls, it simply makes the entire home seem smaller.

On the right corner was a passage to the kitchen and the stairs leading to two bedrooms upstairs-well that's what I presumed. The kitchen slash dining room too was small; dirty grout are fills the gap the tiles that covers the kitchen sink. The cabinets were painted egg yellow and the fridge was wedged by the sink a the and the left wall.

The dining table was beside the sink. There were two chairs and a small square table. The bathroom was located to the right wall of the kitchen. It was a bit spacious but like the other rooms that are poorly maintained and decorated. I trudge back to the living room and up the sturdy stairs; it frightens me how each step creeks.

There were two doors immediately to the left. My mom had told me beforehand that I can have the room with a veranda which was located to at the end of the hall. She knows how I favoured having a space where I can look outside and watch the stars. My dad and I used to go up the hills and spend hours watch the beautiful evening sky.

The door that lead to my room was wooden with dirty white door and an ancient rusty doorknob. The door's paint is now peeling off, exposing its original brown wooden state. I twisted the rusty knob and opened the door slightly. As expected it is small with walls painted in a light shade of purple, I cannot complain. There is a cabinet on of the left wall and a study table at the corner. On the right is an empty space. This is where I decide to put my bed. It will not as big as the bed I used to have, nonetheless, it's my bed.

Just below the foot of where my bed should extend to there's a brown door with the same rusty knob. Twisting it open, I find myself on the small 2-meter wide veranda. Ours, like most of the tenants have theirs facing another side of the apartment complex. I took it all in; It looks refreshing although the view is not that great. I can read or play my guitar here. I smile, thinking of the small possibilities that can give me joy. Maybe it will not be as bad as I have anticipated.

Looking down I spot the moving truck coming in. I hurry downstairs just hoping the day to fast forward.

I sigh mentally. This is going to be a long day.