Chapter Three

The next day had turned out to be quite the series of events. Aelora, amongst many other things, bore witness to Daemon beheading Vaemond Velaryon, in defense of her Mother. Vaemond had called her and her brothers bastards, and Rhaenyra a whore.

If Daemon hadn't done something about it, Aelora would have. She didn't take kindly to insults towards her family. While it was true that her brothers bore no resemblance to their father, she didn't let that get in the way of defending them.

To tell the truth, she harbored no great affection for her Father, Ser Laenor. He was a kind man, even kinder for fathering children that were not his, if there was to be any truth to the rumors. He loved Aelora, as any father would, but he never made any attempts to strengthen hers and his relationship.

Aelora's Mother told her it was because she resembled the Targaryens. Her spirit reminded him of his sister, Laena, who he greatly missed.

When he "passed," and Daemon married Aelora's Mother, she was happier for it. She always enjoyed Daemon's company, and of her siblings, he seemed to prefer her. He had no shame in hiding it. He was infinitely better at fathering girls.

Aelora was happy to have Rhaena and Baela at her side during her time at Dragonstone, as well as Princess Rhaenys and Lord Corlys, who often visited. She missed them dearly when they left, although she was soon after sent to King's Landing. She was very happy to hear that Daemon had brought them along to the city with him.

Aelora had a great love for the Blacks. She was extremely loyal to them, and when they were threatened in court, she stood by Daemon's side without so much as flinching.

Helaena gasped and turned away, shielded by her mother, even Aegon taking a step back. Aemond just watched, slightly bewildered, but intrigued.

He met Aelora's eyes across the room, and her face was stoic. Brave. He had always liked that about her.

That night, the King ordered that the family dine together, united as one. It went about as well as could be expected with all the estranged family members in one room.

Aelora had grown quite fond of Daemon since he had married her Mother, and she shared an amused glance across the table as Alicent said a prayer before the meal.

She looked over towards Aemond, to see if she could catch his gaze, but he had his eyes dutifully closed. Whether he was actually praying, or just attempting to appease his own mother, she did not know. Still, she'd have to tease him for it later.

Aelora's Mother announced the betrothal of Jacaerys and Lucerys to Rhaena and Baela. The news was taken surprisingly well across the table, and Aeloraa smiled fondly at each pair, truly grateful to see them all happy. Even more so grateful that she was finally getting true sisters.

Aegon, being the bastard he is, had to spoil everyone's fun. Aelora supposed he couldn't help himself, it was in his nature to be a perpetual nuisance. Still, that fact didn't make him any less insufferable.

Aelora only heard the tail end of his words to Jace, not only embarrassing her brother in his attempt, but her soon to be sister in law.

"Hold your tongue, Aegon. It would be a shame to see you lose it."

Aegon grinned, narrowing his eyes at Aelora. "Always a pleasure, aren't you?"

She was sidetracked from her response by the King congratulating Luke on his inheritance of Driftmark. The toast was short, once again interrupted by Aegon antagonizing Jace.

Jace clenched his jaw. "I believe my sister told you to hold your tongue. Are two warnings necessary, or are you just that daft? You can play the jester if you wish, but you will hold your tongue before my betrothed."