Chapter 28: We Should Bring This Case To An End

Two days later. In one of the hospitals in New York, everybody is working hard. It's about twelve o'clock. Helene is now in the office of Lewis Todd, who is trying to recover Peter. The girl is really worried about the condition of her friend and is afraid to hear that the man will be forced to turn off the machines. However, that's what Lewis is getting Helene ready for slowly but rightly, having no hope for the best but trying to do his best to help the young guy.

"Sadly, the condition of Peter has not changed in the past few days," Lewis says with sadness in his eyes, wrapping his glasses in his hands and sitting on his working table. "Of course, he wakes up from time to time and even tries to say and do something, but his consciousness is unclear enough..."

"And what did he try to say?" Helene asks, sitting on the chair in front of Lewis and looking at the doctor with pity in her eyes.

"Hard to say. Something unclear. But that guy often pronounces involuntary sounds. I don't know... Maybe, he is trying to call someone or something like that."

"But is there hope that he will survive?"

"Honestly, the doctors are losing hope for a happy end every day."

"But why?" Helene wonders, opening her wet eyes widely. "Can you do nothing? People can survive in much harder cases! Someone may stay in a coma for a long time and then recover successfully. Maybe, it takes a lot of time, but they come back to a normal life."

"Believe me, Ms. Marshall, we are doing our best, but Peter's condition does not get better."

"But what about the blood transfusion? You asked me to give off blood for the second time, and I did it. You said it would help him."

"Actually, I never said it would save him. Yes, maybe, he is no longer under the threat of dying from massive blood loss. But his condition may lead to death at any time."

"The problem is my blood? Or him?"

"No, no, your blood perfectly fit him, and his organism accepted it well. He could have gotten well after a blood transfusion. Peter is quite healthy and strong and could have gotten well. But the situation got worse because one of the doctors made serious mistakes that led to blood poisoning in his organism during the second blood transfusion."

"Blood poisoning?" Helene opens her eyes widely.

"Yes. The doctor violated the safety and was committing that procedure in unsterile conditions. Though, during any kind of surgery, it's very important to follow it. Of course, we could excuse it with the fact that he has been working in our hospital for a little time. But he was supposed to be taught that safety and sterility were very important."

"As far as I know, many cases of blood poisoning bring people to death."

"Correct. If you don't go to a doctor just in time, you either have to get long therapy or just die."

"So, is the same waiting for Peter?"

"We are doing our best to struggle with the infection thanks to necessary cures. Watching closely his body temperature, blood pressure, and heartbeat. Because of the infection, his organism is poisoned now. The poison spread all over his body and harms all organs."

"My gosh..." Helene shakes her head with her eyes that are wet from tears. "So, is there no hope? Can we get ready for the funeral?"

"Well, talking about the funeral is too early yet," Lewis replies thoughtfully and quietly. "We are giving Peter all the necessary antibacterial cures and closely watching his condition. We will wait for some time and see if something changes. Yes, I don't say the doctors have no hope that he will get well. We do. But it's very small. So, you must be ready that one wrong step may cause your friend's death."