THREE ➵ ANNE OF AVONLEA

"Kindred spirits are not
so scarce as I used to think.
It's splendid to find out there
are so many of them in the world."
— LUCY MAUD MONTGOMERY,
"ANNE OF GREEN GABLES"

° °

The Lorelai's made their way to Luke's diner after the atrocious dinner in Hartford. Each girl had an arm wrapped around the other as they walked side by side.

"So, nice dinner at the grandparents' house," Rory said sarcastically.

"Oh, yeah, her dishes have never been cleaner."

"You and Grandma seemed to have a nice talk," Rory commented, the two of them stopping at the front door to Luke's.

"How much did you hear?"

"Not much. You know, snippets," Rory lied and shrugged.

"Snippets?"

"Little snippets."

"So basically everything?"

"Basically, yes. Even that part where you got snarky about Grandma not needing us, I don't think she understood what you were trying to say, though."

"And what do you think I was trying to say?" Lorelai asked, and she reached for the front doorknob, swinging the door open.

"That she preoccupied herself with another young mom and wee 'lil babe instead anyways," Rory shrugged as she walked into the diner.

Lorelai sighed, pausing behind her daughter for a minute. If Rory heard her, maybe Avonlea and Rachel did, too, and she didn't really mean what she said. Sure, there was some truth to it, but she didn't want to feel like she was holding a grudge against Rachel or Emily, or even Avonlea, for it.

Standing at the counter wiping it down with a towel was Luke's busboy and waiter. He looked up when he heard the bell ring, walking over to them with his head slightly tilted to the right with confusion etched into his expression.

"Didn't you guys go to some fancy dinner in Hartford today?" he asked when he got to the table, taking the front pocket of his flannel.

Atlas Cohen happened to be the third member of Rory Gilmore's friend group and certifiably the only boy allowed within ten feet of Lane Kim without Mrs. Kim running after him to cut his head off—but it was only time that granted him that privilege.

Mrs. Kim hated him when they all had met in elementary school, but year after year, he wasn't going anywhere, so she let up just about the same amount as she did with Rory and Lorelai—meaning not really at all.

Rory just sighed as she glanced up at him.

"Did you at least decide whether you'll be actually going to Chilton?" he asked her.

"I can't let a perfectly good plaid skirt go to waste."

Luke walked all the way over from behind the counter as well, stopping in front of them and next to Atlas.

"Wow!" Lorelai gasped. "You-you look nice. Really nice."

"I... had a meeting earlier at the bank," he shrugged. "They-they like collars."