Welcome Home Danielle

Start from the beginning

Betty takes notice in the tv changing and says, "Oh, that's nothing. Just a short circuit." With the wave of her hand she also says, "The lights also flicker here and there."

"Short circuit." My husband sarcastically states.

"Chris." I quietly scold him.

The channels on the tv stop changing, this time it lands on a Coca-Cola commercial.

"She just loves those commercials." Betty says and starts to make her way over to Danielle. "Oh, one more thing before we talk to her." She says making her way back to Chris and I. "Danielle has a small tattoo on the inside of her left wrist. We believe that she might have been in an abusive household. She shows small signs of neglect, hence her very small vocabulary. So, try not to stare at her tattoo and don't use big words."

Betty walks over to Danielle and crouches down next to her. Danielle never takes her eyes off  the screen.

"Danielle, there are some very nice people here who would love to meet you. Is that okay?" Betty asks.

I skeptically look at Chris. Maybe this wasn't a great idea? Chris rests one hand on my back and holds the other out, escorting me forward.

"Danielle, this is Mr. and Mrs. Henderson." Betty says as we slowly approach.

"Hello." Chris says to her with the slight nod of his head.

"Hello." I say softly.

I am greeted with the sweetest, green eyes and instantly, my heart melts. 

"I-I'm Claudia and this is my husband Christopher." I say squatting down next to Betty. 

Danielle just watches us with big eyes.

"Danielle, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson would like to adopt you." Betty says.

"Uh-um, we would like for you to become a part of our family, if that's okay?" I speak up.

"F-family?" Her little voice asks.

"Yes. We would like to bring you home with us, where we can take care of you, a-and love you."

Unsure, Danielle looks to Betty. 

Unsure, I look up at Chris.

"It's okay sweetheart." Betty says to Danielle.

Chris and I look back at Danielle with hopeful eyes. 

"It's alright if you don't want to come with us." I say. "I know that it can be a little scary trusting new people. We just want you to know, that we will do everything we can to give you the happiest life you deserve." I say as I quickly glance down at her wrist and see the tattoo. 002?

Danielle notices and quickly covers it with her hand, breaking my gaze.

"Danielle, it's alright. They're not going to hurt you, they want to take care of you. Mr. and Mrs, Henderson are wonderful people who only want the best for you." Betty tries to convince her.

Danielle takes one last glance at us and returns her attention to the television.

"I'm sorry." Betty says sighing and then stands up.

"What do you mean?" My husband asks as I stand back up.

"Usually when she turns her attention back to the television, it basically means that she's done talking. We've tried shutting it off, but it just turns back on or she throws a temper tantrum. So, we just figure that it's better to leave the tv alone. But, again, I'm sorry, I don't know how to get through to her. I can escort you both out." She says and starts walking to the door.

"So-so that's it? You just give up on her and decline her chances to have a fantastic life with people who will love and cherish her?" I say, becoming a little irate, as we follow her. 

Chris places a comforting hand on my back.

"I do apologize again Mrs. Henderson, but according to our books, any child must give consent, such as a 'yes' or 'no' as to whom they go home with. Unless, of course they are an infant and can't talk." She then holds her hand out in an escort. 

With one last glance and Danielle, Chris and I make our way to the door. Don't cry, don't cry. 

"Okay." A small voice says behind us.

The three of us turn around to find Danielle standing in front of the tv. 

"Wh-what did you say, sweetheart?" I ask as I step closer to her.

"I-I want to g-go with you." Danielle says.

With a smile on my face, tears start to brim my eyes. 

Welcome home Danielle, my sweet, sweet girl.