The One For Him ~ Chapter One

Chapter 1

I was walking down the aisle, and everyone around me was beaming with a smile. I felt so giddy and light-headed. I looked ahead and there he was, Lloyd Durant, the man of my dreams, my soulmate, my bestfriend but... never my lover.

Unfortunately yes, he was never mine. He wasn't for me, because he doesn't love me the way I love him. That's what he said to me a week ago. 7 days before, my world fell apart. I was heartbroken. And now, here I am. Acting as if everything's fine.

I have to keep a plastered smile on my face for I am surrounded by our friends, our people. The people who all thought we will end up together. I never wanted to attend this wedding but my pride won't let me. He is one of my best friends after all and my love for him is stronger than my pride.

I gently sat on the front pew together with the other bridal entourage, I know Lloyd is looking at me for I can feel his eyes on me but I kept my eyes averted. I didn't want him to see my unshed tears. I kept blinking my eyes and faking a wide smile. I knew I looked almost comical like that, wearing my body-hugging, old-rose coloured gown. The gown his soon to be wife chose for me. That witch!

Suddenly everyone stood up for she, the bride has arrived.

Her name is Jenna Michaels. Yup, that's her alright. Jenna, the cheerleader, the sporty, popular girl in high school, the one we never thought he'd like, the one he now loves, the one he now adores.

The ceremony became a blur to me, I heard them exchanging their vows but I couldn't hear a thing. My mind was in a limbo, in a blanketed dark aura. My heart was in deeper, overwhelming pain.

'You may now kiss your bride', the priest declared, then the church was filled with a loud applause and my heart bursed with sorrow.

***

'Claire!', someone woke me out of my reverie.

Yes that's me Claire, a pet name used by those who loves me, derived from Clarissa Rebecca Thomas.

I looked up and saw Tara and her boyfriend Marc coming towards my way. Our best friends since highschool.

I smiled at them and said, 'Hiya'

She looked at me with sadness in her eyes, it was almost a pity so I said...

'Oh darling please don't be like that, I'm happy for him', I used a fake british accent trying to be funny but I know what she meant by that look even without saying a word.

'You always do that Claire, it's unfair! I know how you feel, you can't hide it from me', she was almost wailing that Marc hugged her tight on his side. Oh I envy them. Their love is so real.

'Hush babe, you will just make Claire cry, can't you see she is trying her best to be strong?'

'I know but he didn't have to be so selfish you know! Argh! Ooh, I hate Lloyd', Tara said vehemently.

'Babe calm down, this is his wedding', Marc chuckles.

'Tara, I'm really fine. If I wasn't here then I'd be dead by now', I giggled, a fake one. I tried to crack a joke but they took it seriously though.

'Don't you dare do or say that Clarissa Rebecca!', her nose was almost flaring with anger.

Oh my bestfriend, you can never fool her.

'Sorry, it was a bad joke. but what do you expect me to do Tar? If I won't show up m, Aunt Leoni and Mom would be so devastated too, I can't let them know how this is making me feel'.

She took my hand and said 'I understand Claire, you are always so brave and strong, I really admire you for that. Anyway, this is a party so come and let's have fun! It's time to parteyyy' she exagerated the last word and we laughed.