Chapter 10

I realized that the person in the hallway was James and he was knocking on the bathroom door. We only had seconds before James realized that I was no longer in the bathroom and he came looking for me. I jumped not knowing what I would land on and thankfully there was a trampoline. It was broken but it broke our fall and we took off running. We didn't know where we were going but I knew that running wouldn't get us anywhere fast enough. I snuck around in front of the house on the front porch where they left our penny boards. I grabbed Aubrie's and reached for mine when the living room light turned on. I heard yelling. They found out we were gone and were now looking for us.

I quickly grabbed mine just as the door was opening but I was already off the porch and out of sight. I ran as fast as I could to the backyard where Aubrie was.

"They know we're gone we have to leave now" I said frantically.

She nodded. At that moment I heard the car engine start up. Aubrie grabbed my hand and ran for the woods in the backyard. We hid a few feet back in the trees and watched as the car sped off down the street.

We did it. Know we just have to get home.

I felt around my hips and felt my phone in the small inside pocket of my skirt. I quickly pulled it out and checked to see where we were.

We we're in a completely different town than our own and I had no idea how to get back. I put my phone back in the pocket and took a deep breath.

We were down the road from a gas station. I looked at Aubrie and it's almost like she read my mind.

"Gas station?" She asked

"Yeah. And fast." I said

The sun was almost come plenty down and there was barely any light left. We had to get to the gas station before the sun was down.

I felt a sharp pain in my leg but I decided to ignore it because really had to get away.

Finally after about 10 minutes of us trying to find the gas station, it came into view. Aubrie looked at me and smiled. We have hope again.

We ran in the gas station and asked for a phone because mine was dead. I called Cameron.

C: hello?
T: Cameron? It's me. I don't know where we are. Aubrie and I escaped but I think we're lost. I'm scared.
C: Taylor calm down. Everything is fine. Are you okay?
T: *crying* yes
C: what about Aubrie?
T: she's fine too
C: don't cry Taylor your stronger than that.
T: *sniffling* mhmm
C: I'm going to find you okay. And I won't stop until I do. Just stay hidden from the people that took you.
T: okay. Is Zy with you?
C: yeah she's right here. she came running here and told us everything as soon as she got away.
T: good
C: is your phone dead?
T: yeah I think so
C: I need you to check
T: okay.. Why?
C: Mom and dad have a GPS locator on both of our phones in case anything ever happened. I can use it to find you and Aubrie.
T: okay. It's only got 27% left
C: that's all I need
T: you're gonna find us?
C: I will I promise. I have to go to the police station to get help so I have to Hangup but I love you.
T: I love you too. Please hurry
C: I'll be as fast as I can. I'll see you soon.
T: okay

*end of phone call*

"Cameron is using my gps on my phone to find us" I said to Aubrie

"Thank god" she said relieved.

"He'll be here soon but he said we have to stay hidden"

Just as I said that 4 of the 5 men walked into the gas station. I pulled Aubrie's arm and dropped to the ground.

"What?" She asked confused

"They're here" I said. I could feel another panic attack coming.

Aubrie noticed and tried to calm me

"Breathe.. You have to breathe. Hold your breath in the count of three. 1...2...3"

I held my breath and my heart rate slowed.

"Thanks" I said.

The men were asking the man at the counter if he had seen us. I was so nervous that he would tell.

"Yeah." He told them

Shit. We're screwed.

"They came in here about 15 minutes ago to get a drink."

"Where did they go?" One said in a hurry

"They ran down the street towards the park" the worker replied quickly

"Let's go"
I heard. The men ran out of the store and sped off in the car.

Aubrie and I crawled out slowly from where we were.

The worker looked at us and smiled. He must have known we were in trouble. He just bought us some time.

"Thank you so so so much" I said

"God bless you" Aubrie said very thankful

"I knew you two were in trouble when they walked in looking for you. I've had trouble out of them plenty of times before and I'm tired of it." He said

"Thanks again" I said

"No problem. I heard that someone was coming to look for you and that you need somewhere to hide. I can't hide you here because they will come back soon but if you hurry, you can get to the forest right over there and climb one of the trees to wait there. I'll watch out for you from here. Hurry." he instructed

We nodded and did as he told us. I tried to hurry but my leg was killing me and I was starting to go numb. The adrenaline in me kept me going and I could barely feel it, but as I started to calm down, the pain hit me hard.

We were at the tree about to go up. I was going up first and Aubrie was helping me. My leg gave out and slipped from underneath me and I fell.

"What's wrong?" Aubrie asked.

"I'm not 100% sure but I think my leg is broken." I said in pain

"Are you serious.. How?"

"I think it happened when I jumped from the window. I landed funny but I ignored it and kept going."

"Oh my god. Okay. We've got to get you in that tree."

She helped me up and I attempted to climb again. After multiple times of trying I was finally able to get in a branch high enough to stay out of sight. Aubrie came up next.

"How bad is it?" I asked Aubrie. I didn't want to look. If it looked as bad as it felt I would pass out.

"I'm not gonna lie, it's really bad. You need to get to a hospital right away." She told me. I leaned back on the tree and closed my eyes. All we can do is wait.

We waited for almost two hours. We were both getting restless, when a car pulled into the gas station.

Three men got out and went in. I could see them talking to the store worker. The worker seemed to have known who it was. I continued watching.

A tall guy who was with the other guys in the car turned around and put his hands in his hair. He looked either nervous or really pissed off.

The light shine on his face in just the right position and I could see who it was.

"SHAWN!!" I screamed tapping Aubrie

" IT'S SHAWN" I said again

"OH MY GOD IT IS" She yelled

"We're saved" I said smiling