Chapter Twelve

thanks so much for reading! i love to see the "reads" part fly up! keep reading, you guys, i'm trying to beat my friend in reads... well she has 3,000 so i don't think i'm going to, but i can try! thanks so much! please fan! and comment, i need advice! thanks....

Chapter Twelve

            The woods grow darker. I hear my own ragged breathing in my ears as I trip alternatively on rocks and protruding tree roots. Caleb’s hand is steady on my back: as I fall yet again, he grabs me by the shoulders and pulls me back up. I offer a small smile in what must be his direction, and continue on.

            Then, at long last, Caleb grabs my arm and we slow to a stop. He gently removes the kerchief around my eyes. I blink in the sudden light. I am in a clearing, softly lit by the bright sun and surrounded by massive trees. Ahead of me I can see figures moving and I can smell the faintest hint of smoke. Jinx and Lyuba have stopped ahead of me, now turning to see my reaction. Jasper is nowhere to be seen.

            “Come on.” Caleb takes my hand and leads me forward. I can feel Lyuba’s eyes on me balefully as we come up to her.

            “Are you ready for this?” she asks patronizingly. I narrow my eyes briefly and am surprised to see her take a step back.

            “Are you?” I counter. Her eyes go momentarily blank, and then form a new wariness I am unused to. Her beautiful face contorts into a savagely expectant smile. I feel Caleb stir beside me.

            “Come, then, girl,” she hisses. Her eyes scan my face once more, a flicker of doubt passing over it. Then she meets Caleb’s eyes. He looks at her, says nothing. After a moment, she turns on her heel and leads the way into the clearing.

            The first thing I see is a massive grey wolf, staring at me with burning red-brown eyes.

            I stifle a scream, darting behind Caleb in spite of myself. My heart begins to race, but only one thing comes to mind: At least the eyes are red. And not icy blue. Lyuba is watching me scornfully, Jinx with confusion. Caleb’s grip on my hand tightens, but his gaze is centered on the wolf. The wolf takes a step forward.

            I close my eyes, hiding my face in Caleb’s back. I hear the sound of harsh laughter sounding through the clearing. Hardly daring to look, I slowly open my eyes and step away from Caleb carefully.

            My mouth falls open.

            The wolf is gone. In its place is a man, taller than Caleb, with dark hair and the same red-brown eyes I have seen a moment before on the wolf. Those eyes flicker over to me, but then center on Caleb.

            “Well?”

            Caleb’s mouth tightens, eyes narrowing slightly. His mental shield is flying up and I can feel the tension in the air. “This is Miriam,” he intones, “a seamstress.”

            The man’s eyes scrutinize me leisurely. I find that I cannot move in his gaze, much the same as with Caleb’s electric green eyes, or the ice blue eyes of Thamior. My lungs seem to freeze up – until he looks away. “I see.” His voice is flat. “And where have you been?”

            Caleb frowns. “The village.”

            The man simply looks at him. Then he says, “I will see you in my cabin,” and turns on his heel, vanishing into the camp. Caleb’s hands are clenched into fists, and I can sense his shakiness. I look at him in shock.

            “Caleb – what–?”

            His eyes move to me. “Later.”

            My temper flares. “That’s what you said before, and before that too.” I stare at him. “Please. You oweme.” My voice has dropped to a whisper so the others cannot hear. I know he will know what I am talking about.

            He sighs, runs a hand through his hair. “Very well,” he relents, “but please, not at this very moment. I have to – have to talk with someone.”

            I frown. “That man?”

            He looks away. “Yes.”

            “Who–?”

            “Not now, Miriam,” he snaps, suddenly angry, and I step back. “Look, I’m sorry. Jinx, will you stay with her a moment?”

            The boy steps forward willingly, blue eyes traveling over me. “Sure,” he agrees. “While you–”

            “Yes.” Caleb’s tone is so distant, so harsh that I scarcely recognize it. He turns away from me and I watch as he walks away from the clearing. His back is straight and proud, but his head droops slightly. I jump slightly as Jinx lays a hand on my arm.

            “Sorry,” he apologizes. “Do I startle you?”

            I look at him. His blue eyes are dancing merrily, a look of dark amusement on his face. I narrow my eyes. “Not in the slightest.”

            He laughs. Lyuba glares in my direction, and then sweeps away. Jinx continues, “So you and Caleb are…” He leaves this thought hanging, but I know what he is implying. I blush, and he grins. “I see!”

            “No, no,” I say hurriedly. “We’re friends. Really.”

            He raises an eyebrow, a little too knowingly for my liking. “And he decided to take you here?”

            I avoid this, instead asking, “What exactly are you people?”

            Jinx looks surprised, and I can tell that it is real. “You don’t know?” He sees the look on my face and says, “I mean, Caleb didn’t tell you?”

            I frown. “Caleb doesn’t tell me very much at all.”

            “Oh.” He’s silent for a moment. “Miriam, we’re wolves.”

            I laugh. “Oh, really?”

            “No, I’m serious. You saw Caleb’s father there, he was a wolf, wasn’t he? We’re all like that… even your friend Caleb.” I look into his blue eyes, which are focused on me, and I can tell he is not lying. I look away.

            My mind is whirling, but somehow I can accept it. I have always known there is something strange about Caleb… and Thamior. My lungs freeze up again. Thamior. In the tree. With my brother. The strange marks on my brother’s throat. The marks of a wolf’s claws?

            I try to focus on something. “You said… Caleb’s father?”

            Jinx puts a hand over his mouth. “Oh, I meant, his guardian…” His voice trails off. It’s too late. He looks at me. “Please,” he says desperately, “don’t tell him I told you. Please don’t.”

            I stare at him. “But why?”

            He hesitates.

            “Jinx…”

            “Caleb,” he says tentatively, “is rather frightening when he is angry.”