✿ Six • A New Chapter ✿

Start from the beginning

"How did this happen?" she asked, her concern evident in her eyes.

"I might have voluntarily harmed myself," he replied, looking away.

"Why would you do that?" she inquired, her voice filled with worry.

"Because I may have wanted to hurt myself," he confessed, his tone casual, as if self-harm were a common occurrence for him. Ruhani couldn't help but wonder how many times he had done this before.

"Jodh, my mother also died while giving birth to me. But I don't hate myself because my dad made it clear that it wasn't my fault. You need to understand that it wasn't your fault that your mother died. She didn't sacrifice her life for you to hate yourself. She loved you, and seeing you like this must be hurting her," she said, cupping his face gently to emphasize her point.

Jodhbir sighed and pulled her into a tight hug. After a few moments of silence, he spoke, "Let's get married, Ruhani. I desperately need you in my life." He kissed her temple.

"Hmm," she hummed, still in shock. Had he just proposed to her?

Jodhbir moved back slightly to look at her face and asked, "Now, can I please kiss you?"

She nodded shyly, and their lips met in a tender kiss. Her hands reached up to run through his curly hair, while his hands slipped beneath her t-shirt. Ruhani closed her eyes as his cool hands explored her warm skin. The kiss was slow and gentle, but his chilly fingers traveled up and down her body, making her breath quicken. Her heart raced as he began unbuttoning her jeans. Ruhani quickly pushed him away.

"Not there!" she warned him, breathless, before falling against his chest.

"Sorry," he apologized, hugging her tightly.

"I'm tired, Jodh," she mumbled against his chest.

"Let me take you to my bedroom. You can rest there for a while, okay?" he suggested.

"Okay. But first, button up my jeans," she requested.

He promptly buttoned her denim jeans and then carried her to the bedroom. Gently, Jodhbir laid her down on the bed and kissed her forehead.

"Should I inform your family that you'll be late?" he asked.

"No, they'll kill you. I'll make up an excuse myself," she replied, her eyes closed.

"But your flustered face will tell them what happened between us," he teased, pinching her rosy cheeks.

"I'll tell them about my decision as soon as I get home," Ruhani said, opening her eyes and looking at him lovingly.

"I love you, Rooh," he whispered, kissing her lips.

"I love you too... Jodh," she replied with a soft smile.

Jodhbir gently caressed her forehead until she fell asleep. After about ten minutes, he went to the kitchen to clean the dishes, his heart filled with love and relief.

🕊🕊🕊

The familiar scent of home welcomed Ruhani as she entered the Shekhawat Mansion. The soft glow of the chandeliers cast a warm, inviting ambiance in the dining room where her family was already seated. Her heart raced with anticipation; she had a decision to share, one that had been weighing on her for a while.

At the head of the dining table sat her father, Sahib, his usual air of calm masking a subtle hint of anxiety that he couldn't quite hide. On the opposite side was her Bade Papa, Angraj, engrossed in the day's newspaper but stealing glances in her direction, a reflection of his own unease.