7 | domino's delivery

7 | domino's delivery 

T a n n e r   B a u r

I follow Will through the garage door of the shop, glancing around for a place to do my homework

I follow Will through the garage door of the shop, glancing around for a place to do my homework. "Dave!" Will yells.

A man looks up over the hood of a red car. "William!" He hollers back, "get over here, kid!"

I walk behind Will to the older grey bearded man, his long hair tied with an elastic, a bandana covering his forehead. Will leans on the car and rests his hand on my shoulder, "this is my sister Avi. Is it alright if she does her homework here?"

"Well, of course it is!" He booms, giving me a toothy smile. "The desk is just along the far wall," he points behind me.

I turn around. "Thanks!"

"Just yell if you need anything," Will says.

I give him a thumbs up and find the desk, setting my algebra notebook on top and sit down. I take a deep breath before flipping open to the problems in my textbook. I absolutely hate mathematics, but unfortunately, I need algebra if I want to become a nurse. I leave my earbuds out because Dave has classic playing over the sound system, and start on my homework.

I flip to the back of my textbook to check the first few answers, an they're all wrong. I groan, remembering Will saying 'algebra isn't even hard.' "Will!" I yell, completely frustrated. "I need your help. Will!"

Will comes up behind me and leans over me to see my notebook. "Who the fuck cares about algebra?" He asks, and I gasp, looking up at a face in surprise. It's not Will's face. It's not Will at all.

"Alex!"

"Axel!" He corrects me, leaning in further to rest his hand on the desk. I quickly look back at the desk, not allowing my face to touch his; that's how uncomfortably close he decided to come. I can even feel the heat rising off of his body, smell his musky cologne, somehow taste the bitterness of smoke.

"Are you Will?" Will comes to my rescue, slapping Axel on the shoulder.

"Hey man," Axel stands straight, shaking my brothers hand, giving me some personal space.

"Hey, dude," Will greets, "um, this is my sister, Avi."

Axel leans his arm on Will's shoulder. "Nice to meet you," he grins.

I open my mouth. "Uh," I mutter. "Hi." What is he trying to prove?

"Anyway," Will goes on, "Dave has me working on that sweet chevy over there," he points to the red car, "wanna take a look?"

"Yeah, sure," Axel agrees, "help your sister with her algebra first though, I'm gonna take a smoke."

"Alright," Will sits down on the chair beside me and begins to explain what I'm doing wrong.