Chapter 10 - The Price Of Scars

Scars have no place to disappear to.

They never had a life, never had a part in your pain. They were only illusions on skins, telling stories of skeletons and ghosts long lost in storms of confusion and doubt.

Yet, you still walk despite the fire that is burning at your flesh. You still cross that tightrope, despite the fact that your feet are bruised and you don't have a safety net below your blowing frame. You jump, even though you still have a sky above your head - partly because of hate, partly because of shame. You walk like a jaded spirit, devoid of all things heavenly.

Your body is a collage of beautiful colours, one upon another, like the world coming to make battle on your skin. They have fought one another, giving life to these scars you adorn on your dirtied skin.

Black and purple for every rib broken.

Blue for swallowed tears.

Green for the hatred of oneself, and for the hatred of everyone else.

Red and orange, for all the blood and humanity that was long lost.

Pink and yellow to the smile that rarely graces that mouth.

Finally... White for the emptiness of pain and soul.

But in all this, I beg of you to remember. Remember... Believers live, liars breathe, angels fall, monsters cry, giants die all the same. Open your eyes and tell me now, what are you and what am I?

You don't have an answer, but neither do I. Because I can never define you. But I have never seen you for the scars you bear, never for the words you've spoken, neither for the touch of your hands.

You are what you are, undefined in all its roots. Your marks can never show your past and can never paint your blinding future. 

"I have stood beside you for a hundred years, still your words remain a mystery to me. No matter how long time passes and I wither away, my breath will always be stolen by your unspoken touches on my skin... You have nothing to fear, my treasure. For my soul has already given half its pulse to you. Given half its life to hold yours. Given half a life to save you."

_____________________________________

As the words left, he suddenly realised his mistake.

Gunner instinctively gulped, heart suddenly racing. His head throbbed and his arm rang out with burns of pain, a numbing sensation edged around, it was almost like someone was tearing his skin off piece by piece. Eyes wide, he met the three sets of glares. This time, frozen on his spot. Before he could take the words back, they had already departed from his lips and sunk away from his grasp.

Perhaps it was the way they looked. The way their eyes bore into his figure. Their eyes pierced at his skin, searing the top layers until it melted the bones and dug through the rotten flesh. It was the way they looked at him that moment that he understood something was wrong.

They looked at him with clear messages through their eyes, an angry flame in each; You have overstepped your boundaries.

Where the eerie silence around usually held fast onto people's fear - twisting heads as easily as necks into half - Gunner usually loved the feel of quietness on his skin. When not even a sound could be heard, but his own heartbeat and the shells of heavy burdens on his clipped tongue. When he was left to the mercy of the battling thoughts in his head. Silence is when you truly see something.