Chapter 14

Scarlet was leaning up against a wall, gripping her spear. Shani and Luke were eyeing Alexis who seemed more than happy to grin back at them. Shani’s brother was sitting in a chair carved into the wall, waiting for us.

“Now, let’s start from the start, shall we?” he asked as Zachery and I walked into the room.

“I’m Shani’s brother, Adrian and we have brought you here to talk about him,” his hand gestured to Zachery who rolled his eyes at him.

“Isn’t that what seems to be the main topic around here?” he sneered and I looked at him. Since when did he get so cocky? Zachery always seemed to do what was asked of him, but I could see some of his old self come back him. That scared me because there were lots of people around here that would kill him in a heartbeat.

“Yes, I guess so.” Adrian confirmed leaning back into his chair.

“So, what is it you want to talk about?” Scarlet asked.

“We know how the aliens know about us,” Alexis said in a bored tone. Dragging her feet, she walked up and sat in another chair that was made from stone.

“And that has caused a big commotion up top,” Adrian said, looking at his sister.

“How? You’re not affected by this,” Shani gestured to the corridor that lead outside. “You grow your own food and hunt your own meat. I’m sure the aliens can’t affect that.” I heard Alexis mutter something but no one else heard it as Adrian thought deeply about this.

“I’m just worried about you, sister. I know how you have a lot injured so maybe you can stay with us for a while-” he was cut off by Shani who seemed to be pretty angry about his offer.

“No!” She shouted. “I won’t come here. You know why Adrian. I am not bringing my people into this filthy place. Your all gone wild and we don’t want that lifestyle.”

“Then why do you keep an alien if you’re not coming to our ‘lifestyle’? Alexis asked in a mocking tone.

“He’s not an alien.” I said defensively.

“Umm, have you seen his eyes? Skin colour?” Alexis asked in shock. I stood in front of him much like I did when Shani had a go at him. I was not going to let people insult Zachery because he’s different than us.

“He may look like one of them, but he saved my life.”

“Oh no!” Alexis said, fake gasping and pressing a hand to her chest. “He saved my life which makes him a good guy now.” Her eyes turned to ice again and she grinned. “Grow up. There all the same.”

“Zachery’s different,” Scarlet said, rising from the wall. “Why would he save her life from his own father? Who, by the way is the founder of S.A.F.E.”

“Really?” Adrian seemed interested in this bit of information. “Could you tell us how to get there?”