ii. driftmark

"I present to you, — Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Warden of the West

"I present to you, — Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Warden of the West."

He held his head low, kissing Celaena's hand lightly before pulling away. His hair was rusted blonde, and light brown freckles ran across the swell of his cheeks. The man was tall and lean, the crest of his house large across his chest. A small smirk was worn across his face, and his voice was deep yet calm in Celaena's presence.

"I am pleased to meet you my grace." He kept his gaze on the silver-haired woman, "You are just as beautiful as the people say."

A small box was handed to the young man, which he opened and presented to the princess. Inside laid a silver pendant, engraved with three dragons, the sigil of House Targaryen. Celaena ran her fingers across the work, meeting Jason's gaze once more.

She got up from her seat and approached the Lord of Casterly Rock. "May you put it on me, my lord?" Slowly, Celaena turned to her suitor, eyes never leaving his as she moved her silver hair to the side. Jason carefully slipped the silver necklace across her chest, slightly pulling her closer to clip it in place.

"A beautiful necklace, for a beautiful princess." He smiled, proud that he had possibly taken the princess's favor. Little did he know she had taken him, and his name would soon disappear down the list of other suitors to come.

Celaena turned to the crowd, spotting numerous noble houses, all there for their chance to wed the princess. Their house crest was worn proudly across their chests, just as Celaena had dreamed of wearing hers. But she wasn't a lord or knight, she was a princess of House Targaryen, and she supposed that was a greater privilege than any other.

"May everyone have a great stay at Driftmark, and I thank every one of you for visiting," Celaena announced, clasping her hands together against her stomach. She didn't want to leave but was eager to eat out of her tight garments and into a comfortable gown. Maybe then would she get a break from the expectations of others?

Her cousin Rhaena stepped close, eyes giddy with excitement. She interlocked her arm with Celaena's whispering, "What did you think?"

"Of what?"

"Lord Lannister my lady!"

Celaena scoffed at Rhaenor's remark. "Lord Lannister is a man. There is nothing more that he could offer me that I don't already have." She glanced at one of the large windows in the corridor, admiring the slow waves of the sea. "And I couldn't imagine living in the Westerlands, not when I already have a perfectly suitable home here."

"You cannot deny, he is very handsome." Her younger cousin teased, eliciting a small gasp from the silver-haired girl.

"You are not the wrong cousin, but I do stand by what I said." She decided to turn the topic into something more substantial. "So, are you excited about your courtship?"

"I am only thirteen Celaena, my courting is due for many years." The younger girl chuckled.

The two approached the cool weather outside, watching as the clouds above formed a ring around Driftmark. It was a beautiful day to ride, something Celaena seldom did with her duties at Driftmark. She frequently was in the company of her grandfather Corlys, watching his duties as Lord, something she would one day have to do. In her spare time, she visited Silverwing in the pits, but it was rare the two would ride.

Celaena looked to her cousin, only thirteen years of age, but already much smarter than many of her peers. Her hair was the same silver as their ancestors, her skin a deep copper that glistened in the sun, much contrast from Celaena's pale skin. She inherited the features of both her mother and father, something she would soon learn to appreciate when approaching her courtship.

An audible crash could be heard from afar, causing both Celaena and Rhaena to turn their heads. She then heard a distinctive roar, one she hadn't heard since the day Aemond lost his eye. It was Vhagar, and by the large shadow that soon approached Driftmark, she knew what was to come.

Celaena looked to Rhaena, "Go to your chambers, and do not leave until your mother or father returns." She saw the fear in Rhaena's eyes and clasped the younger girl's hand in her own. "Now."

The princess turned towards the castle, listening to the Vhagar's bellows that echoed through the wind. Her shadow approached closer and closer to her until Vhagar and Aemond finally became visible through the clouds.

"Shit." Celaena ran as fast as possible in the rough sand, throwing away her slippers in the sea nearby. Adrenaline rushed through her veins, the sound of Vhagar's wings almost loud enough to block out any remaining sound. She kept steady on her test, glancing behind her to see the dragon approaching closer. All she had to do was make it to the pits, then she could ride Silverwing back to Dragonstone and finally get out of Vhagar's grasp. If she didn't, there was a good chance she would never see Dragonstone again.

A large thud knocked Celaena off her feet, pummeling her into the sandy ground. Her entire body ached with pain, and while she wanted to run, she knew she couldn't. Slowly, Celaena turned her head, watching as the large dragon approached her body. Vhagar's eyes were menacing in even the brightest of day, mouth slightly ajar as she awaited Aemond's command.

"Wait Vhagar," Aemond spoke, swiftly dismounting from his dragon and onto the sand. He slowly approached the princess, that same smirk on his face that Celaena could vividly remember. His ivory hair flowed in the wind, and the patch on his eye gave him a distinct look that Celaena had never seen before.

"Get up."

Celaena pushed the dirt out of her face, propping herself up on her elbows to refuse. She then looked at Vhagar and knew refusing Aemond would be a poor choice. The prince was erratic and irrational, and she knew the first thing he would do is deliver her back to Dragonstone, ashes, and bones.

She rose from the ground. Her skirts had collected little dirt from the sand, but her skin still appeared scratched from the impact. It was treason to harm a princess, but Aemond knew that. He wanted to harm her, but something told Celaena that he wouldn't.

"What are you doing here?" Celaena spoke, careful with her tone in order not to anger the prince.

The prince only chuckled in response.

"I'm here to take you home."