Prologue

The girl sat in the dark room.. it was an interrogation room of course, she knew that.. the people here wanted to study her.. to see how the past 2 years had 'affected' her... she knew that.. she knew what these people wanted. But she couldn't stop them...

She clasped her hands together fearfully. Her friend Touma Kamijou, was waiting outside.. probably feeling worried too.. she felt thin.. she was still recovering from the past 2 years of surviving on hospital fluids..

The interrogator.. a man in a black suit, with black shades, sat down across from her, holding a bunch of files.

"Hello.. Mikoto Misaka right? Level 5 Esper... how are you?"

Mikoto didn't respond. She wasn't going to fall for the whole 'we care about what you're going through' routine.. she knew what they wanted.. they wanted to catch him. The creator.. the creator of the prison, the world.. the universe that was full of monsters, atrocities.. yet love, and lives... a world that had changed her..

"I know what you want.." Mikoto whispered. "But I can't help you.. and Kirito can't help you either.."

"You mean Kazuto Kirigaya?" said the interrogator. "Yes he told me the same thing.. yet I'm not your average interrogator. Actually I'm a psychologist.. as you understand.. everybody in your age group has been transferred to Academy City for.. erm.. a catching up.. if you will. What better place to reaffirm your education then this place after all?"

"I guess.." Mikoto murmured. "So what? You're hoping you can find some clues by looking at my mental state?"

"Something like that..." said the man. "Yes. Now.. I believe it was the first ever MMORPG ever created for the Nerve Gear.. Sword Art Online?"

"Yes.." Mikoto said.

"And.. you were a unique player." said the man. "Not only were you the only one of 3 espers who played the game.. but.. the moment you logged on.. you instantly gained amnesia."

"Yeah." said Mikoto. "I couldn't remember anything."

"Yes.. that's good." said the man. "So.. why don't we start from the beginning then? Tell me about your life in that world.."

"Life!?" Mikoto growled. She slammed her fist against the table, and electric sparks rippled out along the metal. "You're just one of those stupid scientists trying to see how my abilities were affected by my experiences in there!! Well forget it!"

"Calm down Misaka." said the man. "I understand.. I've read your file. I know about Project Radio Noise. I know how much you distrust Academy City's system. But I'm from the Japanese government.. not Academy City.. you can even check my credentials if you wish.. please.. it is required that we do this for everyone.. not just you.. we need to assess if you're ready to go back into the 'real world' so to speak."

Mikoto sighed. "Fine.. you want to listen to my story? Well I'm warning you.. it was both a nightmare and a blessing.."

"Yes.. I heard the story from Kazuto's point of view..." said the man. "But I would like to hear it from your mouth.. to see it through your eyes."

"Fine.." said Mikoto. "I'll tell you everything.. but none of it leaves this room.. none of it.. you understand me?"

"Yes.." said the man. "The same will be said for everyone I've talked to.. what happens in this room.. stays in this room.. and what happened in SAO, stays in SAO.."

"I hope what you said about this room is true.." said Mikoto. "Cause what you say about what happens in SAO, stays in SAO.. can't be further from the truth..."

And so Mikoto began her tale... the story of Sword Art Online..