Silent Treatment

Your eyes refused to look to your left as you finally returned home, hearing the giggles of your daughter as Taehyung bounced her up and down in his lap. Unlike you, Taehyung's eyes were in your direction straight away and watching you, a weak smile on his face.

"How was your day? Was work busy again?" Taehyung asked you, hoping to at least get something out of you. You carried on walking however as Taehyung spoke, unable to bring yourself to even look across at him.

As you walked through straight into the dining room, a hand hit gently against Taehyung's chest. The confused eyes of his daughter stared back across at him, bemused by what had gone on between the two of you.

"Where did mummy go?" She queried, looking at the closed dining room door in confusion.

A sigh escaped Taehyung as he positioned your daughter so that she was looking across at him properly. "Daddy might have made a mistake this morning after we dropped you off at nursery which upset mummy."

Your daughter hit gently against his chest again, "why are you upsetting mummy?"

His heart broke as her voice got louder in reply to him. "I don't know Y/D/N, I guess I was just being really mean and not thinking earlier."

He was already disappointed in himself to have upset you earlier in the day, but now as he heard the hurt in your daughter's voice too, Taehyung felt even worse than he did before. He was full of regret, knowing that he was the only person to blame for things.

"Will she stay in there all night long? I want to tell mummy about my day at nursery?" Your daughter than asked Taehyung, silently willing the door to open with her eyes.

"She might do," Taehyung informed her.

Your daughter's shoulders dropped at the thought of a night without you, shaking her head back across to Taehyung. The look of disappointment in her eyes killed him, knowing that he had to at least try and do something to put things right.

"Shall I go and see if mummy will come and hear about your day at nursery?" Taehyung asked your daughter, immediately getting her hopes up as her eyes lit up once again in his direction.

Her head nodded before Taehyung even had the chance to finish, still a little unsure as to what had gone on but wanting her parents back together all the same.

"Tell mummy that I have a funny story to tell her, that will bring her back," your daughter instructed as she crawled off of Taehyung's lap so that he could get up.

"You wait here, and I'll try my best to come back with mummy."

Your daughter's head nodded as she watched Taehyung rise to his feet, "make sure that you tell mummy that you're sorry for being mean to her too daddy."

"I promise that I'll say sorry."

Taehyung offered her a reassuring smile before walking towards the door to the dining room, opening it up slowly. As soon as he peered in, Taehyung noticed you sat at the table, scrolling aimlessly through your phone.

You didn't react as he walked into the room, taking a seat in the chair beside you. You continued to scroll, not even bringing your eyes to look across at him as Taehyung nudged closer and closer towards you, trying his best to get your attention.

"Y/D/N wanted to see you, says she's got a funny story to tell you," Taehyung began to tell you, "and I wanted to see you too, and say how sorry I am."

You pressed the off button on your phone but kept your eyes staring forwards as Taehyung spoke. You wanted to give him enough attention to listen, but not enough to make him think that you were ready to move on from things.

He had dug himself a pretty big hole earlier that morning, digging with plenty of sly remarks that ended up winding you up. Although it was never his intention to push you so far, before he could back track, the damage had well and truly been done by him.

A small part of him wondered if for the sake of Y/D/N you would just forget about things and enjoy an evening with the two of them, but you just couldn't. Usually, you could look past the odd remark, you understood better than most how stressed Taehyung could get, but the morning wasn't just a case of him being stressed, it was a case of his mouth running away with him and leaving him in a whole heap of trouble.

"I didn't mean what I said earlier, I just had a bee in my bonnet and before I knew it, I just couldn't stop," Taehyung calmly told you. "I didn't mean to upset you or be so mean with what I had to say to you, I wasn't thinking, especially of you and how my words would end up hurting you."

"With how much you said, there's no way that you didn't at least mean some of it."

Taehyung's head shook in reply to you, reaching across the table to rest his hand over yours. A slight smile of relief formed on his face when you didn't back away, too exhausted after your day to try and fight with Taehyung any longer.

"I don't want for the two of us to fight, we're a family, and Y/D/N's worried about you too. I'll do whatever I can to put things right, but you can't spend the night sat in here Y/N. Y/D/N wants to see you and tell you about her day, let me down, but not Y/D/N."

"You can't use Y/D/N to try and convince me to forgive you, that's unfair Taehyung," you quickly reminded him.

His head nodded in agreement with you, resting it into his free hand. "I just keep saying the wrong thing at this point, don't I? All I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry, and that the three of us belong together in the evenings, we shouldn't be spending it in different rooms from each other."

You nodded your head too, knowing that the living room was where the three of you belonged. You were still a little bit annoyed at Taehyung, but your daughter had done nothing wrong, with it killing you walking past and ignoring her when you arrived home.

"I'm coming to hear about Y/D/N's day," you told Taehyung as you began to stand up from your chair, "you've still got some making up to do."

"I will," Taehyung assured you as he followed behind you towards the door to the living room. "I'll make up for everything that I stupidly said this morning, you'll be blown away by all the things that I have planned for you."

Your eyes rolled as Taehyung seemed to promise you the world as you opened up the living room door. Nervous eyes looked across, gasping in delight as your daughter watched you walk into the room to join her.

"Have you come to stay?" She excitedly asked you, tapping the space beside her on the floor for you.

Your head nodded back to her, "I've been told that someone has a pretty interesting day that they want to tell me all about."

"My day was so good mummy," she immediately began to tell you before you even had the chance to take a seat down beside her.

"Let me hear all about it!"

————