39. beyond

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

"Enid told me you went over the wall with her yesterday," Ron said as he leaned against the side of the house. Jessie came over to get Talia to walk her and Sam to school. Ron decided he wanted to stop by to hang out, there wasn't much more for him to do in the morning anyway.

I was free of gate duty for the next few days. Deanna wanted me to rest my ankle before sending me out on a run. So I had a lot of free time on my hands. I didn't mind spending some of that free time with Ron. We hadn't had much time to hang out since my group has been back and after the last lone interaction we had together, I wasn't sure if I was ready yet. But I knew I was now. Carl and I seemed to be building a strong relationship and Enid said she was going to keep on working things out in theirs.

I felt much more confident about being friends with Ron now that Enid and I seemed to have started a friendship.

"Yeah, why'd she bring that up?" I asked as I let him into the house. Unlike his house, we didn't have video games or board games. We hadn't even bothered to turn on the tv to watch the collection of DVDs that covered the one wall of the living room. This house was used strictly to sleep and to cook, no one was getting too comfortable here just yet.

"She was telling me how you took down that group of walkers," Ron said as he looked around the house. We hadn't put any personal touches on it yet. Daryl's crossbow hung in the foyer, and a few pairs of muddy boots sat by the door but other than that, you barely could tell who lived here.

Since Rick stopped having us sleep in the living room, Carol and Talia had cleaned it and it's barely been used since. I didn't think Ron expected it to be so clean. Carol went back and forth between the two houses given to us and cleaned, it kept her busy after work. She said she didn't mind, it allowed the other older women in the community to see she was "just like them." She had put on a whole new persona since we arrived. Carol didn't want them to know how strong she truly was.