Chapter 16

Monday 10th November, 1976

It was Monday morning which meant Charms class, which meant forced proximity with Regulus Black, which meant I was destined to have a bad mood by the end of the class.

I doodled on my parchment, occasionally dipping my quill into my inkpot when I ran out. It was a theory lesson, and as it was Monday morning, most of the students were subdued, Regulus and I included. Maybe that meant we wouldn't fight today.

I looked up at the boy next to me, noting his posture. He was resting his chin on his hand, staring at the teacher with a glazed expression. My hand started moving without me realising and before I knew it I had started to sketch Regulus.

I started out soft, remembering my art lesson with Lily when she taught me how to sketch people. Lily had always been an amazing artist, and a great teacher, so my drawing skills weren't too bad. I continued sketching Regulus, quickly becoming caught up in the tracing and drawing, so I didn't realise Regulus had turned his head until it was too late.

"What are you doing?" Regulus asked, startling me.

I looked up, slightly covering my parchment with my hands when I noticed him staring at it.

"Nothing," I answered quickly.

Regulus rolled his eyes, seemingly dropping the subject, when, quick as lightning, his arm outstretched, and he took my work from right under me. I scowled, reaching out to take it back but Regulus was still too quick, avoiding my grasp as he kept his eyes on my drawing.

I felt my cheeks heat up as he continued to stare at my drawing of him. I hadn't even meant to start drawing him; it just happened, and it wasn't that good of a drawing anyway. Still, the embarrassment inside me only increased when a smirk found its way onto Regulus's face.

"Wanted a picture of me to keep for yourself?" he teased, waving it around in front of me.

I lunged for it, but he was too quick again, and all my hand caught was thin air. I let out a huff, crossing my arms.

"No, I just needed a new picture for target practise," I replied nonchalantly.

Regulus rolled his eyes, his stupid smirk still on his face as he murmured, "sure."

We continued talking, the conversation turning to the prank. We both had more ideas and for the rest of the class we tried to fine tune our idea. We already had a basic outline, as we'd gotton the supplies, but there were still many key points we needed to go over.

Class finished but we still stayed together, talking excitedly with one another as we exited the class. It was fun, talking with Regulus about the prank. I'd always grudgingly admired the pranks he'd come up for me, so it was exhilarating working with him and combining our ideas for someone else.

We continued walking along the corridors until we spotted a couple up ahead holding hands. They were a Gryffindor and a Slytherin, surprising me. Interhouse relationships weren't uncommon, but Gryffindor and Slytherin ones certainly were.

I looked at the couple, recognising the female Slytherin as Emily Laufeyson and the male Gryffindor as Steve Harrington. They shared a smile and all of a sudden I felt like I was intruding on something I shouldn't see. They seemed like they were in love, a surprising sight when it involved a Slytherin and Gryffindor.

Emily looked away from her boyfriend and noticed Regulus and I walking together. A knowing smile spread across her face as she nudged Steve, both of them trading smirks as they looked at us. I blushed, looking away as I realised they had the wrong idea. Obviously I wasn't going to tell them that though, because they were seventh years and even though I was a Gryffindor I didn't have enough nerve to go up to them.

Instead, I bid a quick goodbye to Regulus, feeling flustered, and walked in the direction of my Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Along the way, I bumped into Lily, and we continued on to our class together. If she noticed my agitated state, she didn't ask, and for that I was grateful.

"So, how was your day yesterday?" I asked Lily once I'd calmed down. "I noticed you spent majority of it talking to James."

Lily rolled her eyes, a small blush on her face as I mentioned my brother. Her face turned serious pretty quickly, souring my mood as I guessed what she was going to say.

"I did talk to James," Lily started, "and he said that he, along with the rest of the marauders, really missed you."

I sighed, annoyed that I felt guilt milling in my stomach. I wasn't doing anything wrong...right? I was just standing up for myself, showing the marauders that they couldn't just treat me like shit and expect me to get along with them, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss them.

"Do you think you could forgive them?" Lily asked, her voice soft now.

I bit my lip, contemplating her request.

"Fine," I eventually said, "but I'm still pranking them."

"You're still what?" Lily questioned.

I clapped a hand over my mouth, cursing myself for mentioning the prank. Lily was looking at me curiously though, so I relented and told her about Regulus and my plan to prank the marauders, making sure not to say what the prank actually was. I wanted it to be a surprise for everyone.

Lily smiled, promising not to tell the marauders anything just as we arrived at our class. Lily gave me a pointed look and I sighed, yielding, and sat down next to James. My brother froze, staring at me for a solid minute as I stared back defiantly. In the end, a grin stretched across his face and he started talking to me, informing me of everything I missed when I avoided them.

I smiled as Sirius, Peter, and Remus all chimed at parts, feeling an odd sense of relief as I sat there, knowing I didn't have to continue avoiding my family.

A/N:

so i was originally not going to post this until tomorrow but then i found out YOU CAN LIKE COMMENTS ON WATTPAD NOW??? LIKE WHAT??? I AM SHOOK!!! 

this is sorta a filler chapter but its cute at the end so :)

also @LadyLokiLaufeyson5 here is your cameo. be grateful. remember our deal...

that's all! while you all read this i shall read every single comment because i am bored and dying and more bored.

updating tomorrow as well!!!