11 | scrofolous

🏁

◢◤◢◤◢◤          Circuit 11         ◢◤◢◤◢◤

"Ola! Thank God, you're here," Skye exclaimed as soon as I stepped inside the campus, chuckling as I noticed the distress on her face fade away at the sight of me

"Sorry, I got held up at home, but it's fine now, I'm here." I gave her a reassuring smile.

"No, that's okay. Thank you for being here," Skye offered a small smile. "I had a few other Freshman volunteers running the booth, but the game is about to start in ten minutes and I need someone to take my place."

I shrugged, remembering that she was supposed to be cheering on her boyfriend, who was going to play in one of the games. "Sure, I'll be wherever you need me."

Skye grabs my arm and drags me through the seas of sweaty bodies in this summer heat, and I follow her without protest. For a moment, I began to regret my decision to be a good friend. If I'd known I'd be standing at the ticket booth, I would've stayed at home and spent extra time fixing Ricardo's car. But now that I've committed to this, it's too late to back out; not that I'm the type of person who takes back promises.

If I had only known about Theo earlier, I would have fitted him into my plans before anything.

I'm so jealous right now. I could be admiring him and his wonderful physique, but no, other girls will be having the time of their lives while I drench in sweat. I don't even sweat, but California weather changes every damn second.

Soon, we arrive at one of the booths located directly outside the field's entrance, behind the bleachers, where I notice a few young students conversing, some of whom are getting a little too physical for what the school allows on a normal day. However, this was not a school day, and security worked hard but focused more on safety and the audience coming from the other schools.

There were only five to seven booths, some of which sold snacks, artwork from Art class, and a swarm of soldiers who I knew all too well was recruiting high school students to fight for the country. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, knowing how their claimed benefits and promises turned out to be less grandiose than they were.

But hey, to each their own.

One thing that stood out to me was most of them looked a bit younger, just like what Skye had told me earlier.

A cute girl with bob hair and a grungy outfit grinned at me, and I returned the smile with a surprised one. "OK, you'll be assigned here," Skye finally said as she sat me down on a stool and thrust a clipboard into my hands.

"...Cool," I mumble, taking the clipboard to fan myself with it. Skye hid a smile on her face as she placed her hands on my shoulders. "Oh my God, you look like you'd murder the next person you see."