Chapter 3 - Front Runners

Začít od začátku

Lux returns the gesture without a problem, though.

No words are needed between them, not now. She can sense his contentment, which she feels herself. It's an odd thing to feel being as she's always been a warrior. She's never felt so peaceful before, and it's something she's grateful to experience. The only sound is that of their almost inaudible breathing and Lux's heartbeat, something she can only hear because of her enhanced senses. She never wants this moment to end.

***

Lux can hardly believe the progress of their little rebellion. Not only were they able to free the old king from the Separatists, but also, they stopped his execution in front of crowds of people. And the majority of the people seemed to be in support of them. With the former king Dendup on their side, along with the General of the Army, things are definitely taking a turn in their favor.

"With your rule, our numbers will grow," Lux says.

The king rests a hand on his shoulder. "Thanks child. Your mother would be proud."

He gives him a small smile. "Thank you, my lord." It means a lot, coming from the king. It was all he wanted, really. This has been his sole thought back when he allied himself with the Death Watch, even if he regretted it after the fact. But it led him to Ahsoka, so what does he have to complain about?

"We must first win the will of the people. That is the only way," Dendup asserts, standing up and pacing back and forth, "The Separatists will assemble their forces. Count Dooku will want me dead more than ever."

"Then we'll have to teach them another lesson. Together," Saw smirks. Cheers go through the assembled crowd.

With the meeting over, Lux makes his way around everyone to where Ahsoka is watching. "I knew you couldn't resist a good fight," he comments. She finally intervened in the rescue of the king. They would never have succeeded without her, not without others dying.

"Am I becoming that predictable?"

"Only to me."

They slip through the door, out into the cool night air. Ahsoka reaches over, holding his hand while they walk, lacing their fingers together. They haven't really spoken much about what their relationship will be, or even what they are to one another right now, but Lux knows that he still loves her, and that she still loves him in turn. Talking about it will mean accepting that the chances for anything between them is still low, so he doesn't want to do that. Instead, he'll enjoy these quiet, peaceful moments while they last, cherishing them in the future when she's gone.

"Now that the Separatists know Jedi are involved, this is really going to escalate," Ahsoka comments.

"That's what you prepared us for, isn't it?" Lux replies, a bit teasingly.

"Yes, but I hope that we can handle it," she answers quietly, squeezing his hand. "We're still few in number, and a sizable force of droids could still overrun us."

"I'm sure we'll manage," Lux assures her. "We have no choice. The people are counting on us." He hesitates a moment before continuing. "Do you think the Republic will be able to send any more reinforcements?"

"I don't know." She shakes her head slowly, blue eyes betraying her worry when she looks at him. "I can ask my master when I talk to him later tonight."

"That would be great," he murmurs, relieved.

"Don't worry if they can't," she says at last, her inner confidence shining forth once more. "We'll manage with what we have, and we'll win. You're right. We have no choice."

He only smiles, knowing that there's nothing more for him to say.

***

The battle has taken the turn for the worse. They led the droids to the outskirts of the city and were doing fine, until the Separatists brought in new gunships with ray shields that nothing can penetrate. And the Republic is refusing to send help. Ahsoka just doesn't understand Obi-Wan's reasoning. She's not going to abandon Lux and his people. It can't possibly be right. How can anyone expect her to do something like that? At least Anakin understands.