File 4: The Yaksha Race

Magsimula sa umpisa

True Selves/True Forms:

Upon reaching the age of 500 the tribe is in great rejoice as the child is now considered a man or woman and can take their place within the tribe as a warrior or healer. It is at this time a ritual is held by the tribe's elders as the child discovers who and what their true self actually looks like. It is a momentous and joyful event always followed by a great feast and celebration. it is not uncommon that the dendro archon herself once came to these parties to celebrate. When the tribe was taken in by Morax, he started visiting these ceremonies to celebrate and welcome the new yaksha. A yaksha's true form is greatly affected by genetics and environmental factors. When a yaksha is called "Golden" it is usually seen as a blessing but for some reason, there is a split belief that has grown and split into some strange nonsense of golden yakshas being ill omens. 

Dream-Touched "Golden" Yakshas

Dream-touched Yakshas are insanely rare and a bizarre phenomenon to happen. Very special conditions have to happen to result in these rare and extremely powerful yakshas. A yaksha that is Dream-touched is often born with golden features to their body and were highly respected and revered in ancient times. To the point that even gods held them in fascination of the feats these golden yakshas could do. They could walk and enter dreams, they could put people into a state of slumber, pull souls into a waking dream, and even devour dreams and nightmares. For this reason the Aranara often called them "Dreameaters" or "Golden Spirits."

But how are these Golden Yakshas born? it has to do with the Tree of Dreams. A yaksha that is born at the Tree of Dreams becomes a Dream-Touched Yaksha. Some known Golden yakshas are in fact Alatus/Xiao, Angelis, and Zhuque. However this special gift and traits are also what make dream-touched yakshas coveted for all the wrong reasons. It is also why King/General Alatus's slaver targeted him particularly due to his abilities over dreams and undeniable strength. 

Behaviors

Behaviors differ from each type of yaksha or yakshini but in general they are a race that do not like being caged. They are also extremely territorial especially around breeding and birthing seasons. Due to the high mortality rates of their race the males are rather fierce in protecting their tribe's females and young. And likewise the females are very possessive of their mates and protective of their children. It is very odd and very rare a mated pair will abandon their offspring. But in cases where it does happen they are raised by another mother that may have lost their child or by the entire tribe. 

it is very strange but avian and mammal yakshas have been recorded being able to purr when feeling safe, secure, and happy. This is seen the most around mated pairs, family, and their offspring however. Another odd behavior is displayed from a yaksha that has reached breeding age. These yaksha will often snatch and leave gifts to the unmated female they intend to soon court for the Soul Bond Ritual. 

The yaksha race have been shown to be very gentle, some times mischievous race depending on the individual. However there have been cases of rogues that are considered very dangerous, driven mad by their karmic debt. These rogues often have to be put down by their tribe mates for the good of the tribe. 

They have been shown to be very adept warriors and military leaders during the Archon War and the Fall of Khaenri'ah. Shown time and again to easily command the troops of the Geo Archon during the long duration of their contract to Rex Lapis. In Liyue they are praised and even worshiped as protectors and heroes. While over in Sumeru they are hailed again for being protectors but also for their vast wisdom of the forest. 

During the time a yaksha's yakshini is in heat they wont take kindly to anyone approaching. The same holds true once the yakshini has been pupped, and carrying his offspring. An insane need to stay near their mate happens only leaving to hunt or patrol for danger. Once their pups are born this needs shifts to parental care and they return to being their old selves. 

Yaksha Noh Mask

Once a yaksha reaches maturity they receive a very special and powerful mask. These masks are linked to their very lives and hold astounding powers that can hurt them if not careful. Unfortunately this is a double edged sword. For by taking a yaksha's mask you are in a sense taking control of their souls and very existences. For a yaksha having this happen is very terrifying and traumatizing experience as they can no longer control their bodies and are forced to obey the one that has their mask. That is why yaksha race guards their mask so furiously and will not permit anybody to touch it that they do not trust. However, if the mask shatters the yaksha is said to fall extremely sick with a high fever until their mask repairs itself. During this time they are very weak and vulnerable to attacks so they rely heavily on their tribe and mate if they have one. For this reason too they must take caution and not push themselves too far.

 For this reason too they must take caution and not push themselves too far

Known Yakshas:

Bosacius (Marshal Vritras): Electro Tiger yaksha, and Xiao's older brother figure.[DECEASED; Died in Chasm]

Indarias (General Musatas): Pyro Snake yaksha and Xiao's cheeky foster mother figure and mates with Menogias.[DECEASED, killed herself; Recently was reborn a human somewhere in Teyvet]

Bonanus (General Chizapus): Hydro Dragon yakshini that was mild in nature. Was like a sister to Xiao.[DECEASED; Killed by Menogias]

Menogias (General Kapisas): Geo Tortiose yaksha, Xiao's first father figure.[DECEASED; Killed by Bonanus] 

Yaksha King Alatus (General Xiao): A golden winged vermillion bird yaksha; Dream-touched. Hailed by many names including "Golden Winged King" and "Vigiliant Yaksha" to name a few. Husband to Crown Princess Lumine Aion in the Xiaolumi series. 

Pervases: A Cryo ergret yaksha and childhood friend of Xiao's. He was like a little brother to Xiao and loved very much like family.[DECEASED]

Vesperus: A wing wolf yaksha hybrid, reincarnated God of the Moon and Xiao's son(Xiaolumi series only). 

Solis: A winged wolf yakshini, Goddess of the Sun and Xiao's daughter(Xiaolumi series only).

Angelis: A Yaksha tribe High Elder. Old friends with the Dendro archon.[DECEASED]

Yaksha Race's Terminology

Cubs: Infant yakshas.

Youngling: Juvenile yakshas. Not quite adults.

Yaksha: Term for their race but also what their males are called.

Yakshini: The term used for the females of the race.

Nesting: The Birthing and rearing season.

Great Illumination: The day a yaksha or yakshini reaches adulthood and learn their true forms.

Purge: Term to exterminate via purification 

Dream Sight: Unique ability of yakshini during courtship. Said be blessing of Dendro Archon herself it shows vague visions of past or future events.

Souleaters: A term very recently developed. This is used to describe yakshas who's personas have split into two separate parts of dark and light.