|5| Tears of the Jolly Beetle

┌──── •✧• ────┐"I'm Shawn

┌──── •✧• ────┐
"I'm Shawn."
└──── •✧• ────┘

Valentina was sleeping peacefully in her bed when the sound of her phone ringing jerked her eyelids open.

"Huh?" Her voice was groggy.

"Val! Where are you? It's about to start!" Charlotte scolded on the other side of the line.

"What's about to start?" The girl asked, still recovering from her sleep state.

"The award ceremony for Captain Man and Kid Danger! Please don't tell me you're just waking up."

The girl looked at the time and her eyes widened. "What? No! I gotta go, bye Char!" Valentina jumped out of bed, threw on the first pair of clothes she found and raced out the door, choosing to put her hair up in a claw clip that was dangerously on the verge of breaking to save time.

She promised Henry she'd be there for his first award speech as Kid Danger, but Valentina always seemed to have a problem being on time to things. No matter how many times she tried to wake up on time, the girl always ended up sleeping through her alarm.

Valentina ran all the way to city hall, where the ceremony was  being held. Out of a breath and with her hair all over her head, she crashed through the large double doors. "I'm here! I'm here! We can start now!" She yelled, gaining the attention of the room.

Henry looked at his best friend and smiled as he shook his head. He had know this would happen, Valentina never wakes up on time. After 8 years of friendship, the girl had become predictable. Nevertheless, he was glad she was here, he didn't know if he could talk in front of everyone without her in the audience.

Charlotte waved the girl over, giving her a disapproving look. Valentina raised her hands in surrender. "I'm here, aren't I? I made it." She defended, sitting down.

Jasper opened his mouth to speak, but the girl stopped him. "Jasper if you say one word about my appearance you will never say another word again."

Jasper closed his mouth.

"And so my fellow swellviewians, as Vice Mayor of this fine city, I am proud to present these medals of recognition for bravery and community service, to our very own Captain Man and Kid Danger!"

The three friends and Piper applauded. Valentina was proud of her best friend, who looked for her face in the crowd and smiled at her.

The Vice Mayor continued. "Oh, and please except this coupon for one free, medium, frozen yogurt." He handed the coupon to Captain Man, who examined it with Kid Danger.