Ch. 23: Lies and Betrayal

Rhaenerya had been nervously waiting outside of her daughters door

Rhaenerya had been nervously waiting outside of her daughters door. The handmaidens had dismissed her for the time being in order to fit the dress on Alaesys. It was the day of the wedding, preparations had been made around Alaesys family but Rhaenerya was fortunate to put in her own opinions on the matter.

When the doors opened to the room again Rhaenerya was quick to charge in. She had been worried sick that the Queen might dress her oldest in an ugly green gown. However, Alaesys was dressed in something far more gorgeous. Alaesys had always had a sense of fashion and loved to dress in her pretty gowns and tiaras. So Rhaenerya was not surprised when her daughter was dressed in one of the finest gowns she had ever seen.

The top of the white dress was decorated in the finest of gemstones and diamonds. Strings of pearls and thing lines of low hanging diamonds decorated her chest and shoulders. The sleeves were sheer and flowing as was the bottom of her dress. Alaesys turned to her mother when she heard the door open.

"What do you think? It's not too much is it?" Alaesys worriedly picked at a loose string on her dress. Rhaenerya took her daughters hands and gave them a light squeeze.

"You look wonderful, my dear. As Queen of the 7 Kingdoms there will never be too much." Rhaenerya kissed her daughters cheek and walked to the dresser where a gift was laid out for her. "I have a surprise for you." Rhaenerya unwrapped the purple silk and took the familiar looking headpiece and necklace out. It was the very headpiece she had worn for her wedding with Daemon, and the necklace had been one she wore for her wedding to Laenor.

Alaesys kneeled down and let her mother slip the headpiece into her braided hair it fit snug into place and she turned to kneel as her mother slipped the back lace around her neck. It easily covered her scar, for that she was very thankful of.

"These two pieces symbolize what each of your fathers meant to me. Alaesys looked at herself in the mirror and felt her stomach toe in knots. She wished for Laenor to be there, to hold her hand and to walk her down the aisle. She wished for him to hold his grandchildren for the first time and to be the one who spoiled them with toys and love.

She did not even notice herself crying until Rhaenerya dabbed the tears away with a cloth. "He is here in spirit, Sweet Dove." Rhaenerya gave a reassuring smile.

"Mother, why did you never tell me about your proposal?" It was a question that she had been saving for the day she saw her mother again. Rhaenerya dropped her head in shame but grabbed Alaesys arms, rubbing them to warm up her chilled skin.

"It was a desperate attempt to save our family. That is no excuse for leaving you in the dark. Aemond seems to worship the ground you walk on." It wasn't quite the apology that Alayseys expected but she knew better than to push further. "But hear this, Daemon has fought for you to come and go as you please. You will not be a prisoner here."

"I do not want to bring shame to us." Alaesys tried to stay strong and put on a brave face. Rhaenerya read right through her.

"I would rather you come back ashamed, then wrapped in cloth ready to burn." Rhaenerya embraced her oldest child and just held her in the early light of the morning. Alaesys rested her head on her mothers shoulder and for the first time that day, her mind was free of worry.