48. Getting Closer 🫂

A.B. picked me up, surprising me with food that I was telling him I had a taste for - pizza! Look, I was only breaking my diet for today. Mr. Joe will have to understand. Better yet, I just won't tell him.

"Thank you for the pizza." I chewed, "please let me treat you to something before you leave."

A.B. glanced over at me as he drove. "Thanks, but I decline."

I pouted. "Sir, you can decline all you want. I'm gonna do it anyway." I took another bite of my pizza.

He chuckled, "How did your meeting and studio session go?"

I nearly turned my entire body to face him. "Nothing really got finalized in the meeting. There's a possibility that I'll be in a Super Bowl commercial with Aja. The label wants us to tour together starting in America; eventually, all over the world, and my album could be released at the beginning of next year. Ohh, I can't wait! A.B., you're gonna be the first person to hear my album. I know it'll be perfect. I have fast songs, slow songs, anthem songs, love songs, and a gospel song."

"Really?" A.B. sounded more shocked than Mel Pari when I told her over the phone.

"Yes! You inspired me to write it." I repeated Mel Pari's response, "I know it's a little 90s like how the throwback R&B artists used to do, but honestly, it's what's missing from music today. Remember when most singers started in the church choir? Now, they just cover songs and post them on social media." 

A.B. nodded his head in agreement.

I sighed, "It's a risk, but I really think people will enjoy it or at least accept it."

A.B. encouraged me, "It's a great idea. I'd love to hear it."

I smiled, "You will." I grabbed my water bottle and took a sip.  Suddenly, there were colorful, bright lights ahead of us. "Where are we going?"

"Santa Monica Pier."

I looked out the window

I looked out the window. "Are you serious? I've been wanting to go since I got here."

A.B. turned into the parking lot. 

I took off my Sia wig and sunglasses. "This looks so cool at night!" I exclaimed.

After we parked, we got out the car. The light breeze and smell of the ocean reminded me that I was in California, living my dream. I closed my eyes, inhaling the air. Is this what succeeding smells like? I opened my eyes to see A.B. gazing at me.

He appeared as though he was contemplating on asking me something, but he said, "I can't believe you've been in California all this time and still haven't been here."

I walked over to him. "Remember, I'm in a wonderful program called Artist Development."

"Zeke hasn't taken you anywhere outside the house, though?"

I guess my sarcasm went over his head or maybe that's what was on his mind to ask me. 

"We went to one beach and a few restaurants. That's pretty much it, because he's been super busy. I mean, I understand, because that's how my schedule is now. I could come on my own, but when I get days off I sleep-in."