Chapter 156: Visitors pt. 2

"I brought food!" Estelle grinned and started taking out all the contents of the paper bag, settling them on the counter.

Nine glanced at all the things in front of her then back to her.

"You should stop running away from home during the night, young lady. Especially when you are alone," she pointed out.

The streets are not safe at night, especially at a busy time like this when everyone else is preoccupied with the idea of having fun. There's a high possibility of someone taking advantage of the lax security. Pickpockets are on the rise when there's a crowd, what's more with poor fellas getting lost in dark alleys?

Estelle saw Nine's disagreeing eyes and felt guilty. She avoided looking at her and settled her attention on the food instead. This was the nth time that Nine had reminded her to halt going in the capital at such a late hour. She had been doing this for years now and without the knowledge of the people in their manor, of course.

Meaning, she went there on her own without a single guard. She knows the danger but she just couldn't stop herself.

"But I'm safe..." She mumbled in a low tone, being defensive. She then averted the topic– "Anyway, are you hungry?"

Nine's mind whirred as her eyes glazed for a moment, appearing as if she wasn't there and that her consciousness was drifting to somewhere else. It happened in a span of seconds so Estelle didn't notice.

The woman then brushed the topic of, much to Estelle's delight, and switched on to something else instead. After all, this young lady right here won't ever listen to her no matter how many times she would remind her of it.

"So, how was the ball?" Nine inquired, smiling at her in indulgence.

Estelle's grin was back as her eyes sparkled in mirth, remembering the memories from the night ago.

"It went well! It was my first time going to the palace and wow! Everything looks really beautiful!" She started gushing.

She remembered all the glittering things she saw in the palace. The extravagant dresses... the gold and the shimmers... the luxurious stuff that she could only dream of... the high chandeliers... the music from the orchestra... It was truly magical!

It was also her first ball, how pitiful it might sound. In her dreams, she had been to those events and they were all nice but the actual was way much better. Also, she was really not enjoying those parties in her dream. They were just painful memories if she's being honest.

Estelle then pouted, "I didn't get to proceed with my plan though..."

That's right. Her one and only goal in mind that night didn't even bear fruit. Nothing was gained at all.

"Hmmm," Nine hummed, staring at the young woman thoughtfully.

Estelle was chewing her lower lip when something sprang into her mind.

"Ah! Do you know that someone gifted me a dress? A very expensive dress from Elen!" She exclaimed and started narrating what had transpired– "A few days before the Founding Ball, the courier from the famous boutique came to our house and delivered it. They said it was for me, and the person who sent it wanted to be anonymous," her eyes snapped to Nine– "Hey Nine, isn't it suspicious?"

One of her fine brows raised, "Suspicious? Why do you think so?"

"Well, firstly. I don't know anyone who can do something like that, you know. I was skeptical about that person's motive, because why would she give me such an expensive dress? And then the day of the ball came and another batch of people visited me! They fixed my hair, my face, my dress..." she fired on with elaborate hand gestures– "It was so weird! And then a carriage was also prepared to send me to the palace... Why? Just who was it?"

Estelle was truly confused. She couldn't think of a reason why that person would do all of that for an insignificant existence like her.

"I couldn't even sit still during the whole ride and I was just bewildered with everything that had happened. Say, what was that all about?" She voiced her suspicions out.

Does that person have an ulterior motive? But why her? She has nothing in her name!

"But aren't you happy? You get to go to the ball and you didn't worry about what you'll wear," Nine remarked, adding the fact that just days ago, she was worrying nonstop about it.

"I am happy!" It wasn't every day that a magnanimous person would shower her gifts. Also, who would get happy upon receiving that kind of treatment?– "I just find it suspicious. Why would they help me? What would they get from it?"

Nine leaned over, "Is there really a need for a reason to help someone? Or treat someone kindly?"

The question threw her off-guard.

"Ehm..."

Still... She couldn't help but be skeptical. People had been nasty to her since a long time ago and she was used to it.

"Why don't you just tell me what happened that night instead? Did you have fun?" Nine steered the topic again so Estelle won't have to mull about it anymore.

There was a short pause before she answered her.

"I did, mostly," she uttered– "I came late and everyone was staring at me! It was embarrassing..." Estelle cringed upon remembering the eyes that flew on her as soon as she stepped in. "I also saw Lady Nadia again and she helped me this time too! She's really kind! I really admire her!"

Estelle won't ever forget Nadia's kindness to her. Though the miss might be doing that not because of her, she was still grateful nonetheless.

"A lot happened during the party and I am not sure if it's okay to tell it to Nine..." she added, seeming to be stuck in her conscientious world.

A knowing glint appeared in her eyes and she smiled.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'm not going to force you..."

"Ah, but everything is fine! I saw the queen for the first time and the great magician too! He is so cool!" Estelle started gushing again.

It was her first time to see the Great Magician in person and it was truly a surreal experience. Even in her dreams, the magician never appeared in public so seeing him there was a nice surprise.

"He is?" Nine repeated, seemingly amused by her compliment just now.

If that guy heard it, that guy's ego would surely go high again.

"Yes! Even though I have no way of knowing, I could definitely feel how powerful he is," Estelle felt it even just by looking. The divine air that surrounds him, was that palpable! "And I also met the Duke of Agera by chance in the garden. He's kinda scary..." she added in a whisper.

She bumped into him by accident or was about to. Not before the man himself started berating her in irritation. Estelle was shocked and that shock turned to fear when she had a good look at the Duke's appearance closely.

In her dreams, she couldn't remember ever hearing or meeting the infamous Duke at all. If her memory serves her right, the Agera dukedom had already fallen. Yet when she heard that there's a new Duke, the youngest at that, she was surprised.

Just who was that Duke of Agera?