Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I stood next to the crack in the wall, watching all the people getting ready to go to sleep. They fluffed up their mangy, unclean pillows and shook the bits from their blankets. Now I didn’t want to go to sleep in something as disgusting as that. But that’s another problem. I didn’t know where to sleep. I didn’t even know where I slept last time. I only remember it being at the back or something.

I just looked awkwardly at everyone waiting for someone to notice me. I didn’t want to seem pushy because I didn’t know where I would sleep and I didn’t want to take up someone elses bed. That would be rude. I sighed loudly and bit my lip.

My teeth felt unclean and furry. I really need a toothbrush. I didn’t care if I didn’t have the luxury of toothpaste but I needed a toothbrush at least. I wonder what the boys use. I had never seen them brushing their teeth. And when I had kissed Seth he didn’t smell bad, in fact he tasted awesome. I gulped and pushed the thought out of my mind. I wonder if they had a bathroom? Ooooh, that reminded me, I really needed to go to the toilet. I hadn’t gone in a long time because I was dehydrated and distracted but I really needed to go now.

I sort of hopped on the stop crossing my ankles trying to hold it in. Now I was desperate. “Hey,” Lee said coming up next to me. “Are you ok?”

I laughed. “I have two problems. One: I don’t know where to sleep and most importantly two: I need to pee.” I hopped again on the spot showing him how busting I was.

He laughed loudly and a few heads turned in our direction. I didn’t really care, I had enough on my mind not to notice them. “Yeah, I will show you were the toilet is. And I have to tell you, we don’t have any plumbing so it may be a tiny bit smelly. Don’t worry it is pretty hygienic. We clean it out and burn the waste every two days.” He said with a reassuring smile.

I breathed out, happy that I wouldn’t be holding my nose and almost throwing up every time I needed to go. I wonder if it was a hole in the floor. Ewww.

Lee grabbed my hand and pulled me along, through the many rows of floor beds. People stared at me weirdly. Like they were interested. In the corner I saw one of them glaring at me. I then looked forward away from them all. What had I done wrong?

Lee pulled me through a crack in the wall into a hallway with other cracks. Lee pulled me into the nearest one. It was dark but had a fire torch in the corning giving off a odd glow. It gave off enough light to do your business and to be able to see yourself. They had a mirror on the wall and a metal bowl for the sink.

Against the wall was a natural curve in the wall. It was kind of like a low bench. It had a carved hole in it and I kind of guessed what it was. The hole had a meal cover to cover the smells. I turned around and saw Lee standing in front of the crack. I had never noticed but there was actually a metal  sheet big enough to cover the crack. It was used as a door I supposed so it would be private.

Thank God, I didn’t want to be peeing out in the open. Lee gave me a small smile and left. He called through the crack. “I will just wait outside, in the little compartment beside the toilet has some toilet paper. Use it wisely though.”

“Cool thanks.” Toilet paper? They had toilet paper?

I pulled the surprisingly light metal sheet over the crack. I then moved to the toilet.

YADDA, YADDA, YADDA, I did my business.

In the sink bowel was some water and soap. I washed my hands using them, making sure not to use too much of the soap. I really hope they don’t brush their teeth using this water. Blegh!

I pulled the sheet back to its original place and walked through the crack in the wall. Outside was the waiting Lee, exactly where I expected him to be. “Shall I show you to your bed?” He bent his elbow and waited.