Chapter Six

The next morning, for some odd reason, the bakery was very busy. Or maybe it was just the fact that I hadn't been here in awhile and I wasn't used to the crowds.

“Hi, how may I help you?” I ask, looking up from writing done the order I had just taken. My eyes fell upon a recognizable face and my eyes widen, “um, Mark, right?”

He gave me a small smile, “yeah. You left your jacket in my car.” he hands over my white cardigan.

“thanks,”

“no problem.” he sounded like there was something else he wanted to tell me.

I motion for him to come around the counter, “we can go talk in the back.” he nods and follows me through the doors to the kitchen. “hey Stacy, can you work the front for a couple minutes.” without a word she leaves.

“so, what did you want to say?”

“oh, I just wanted to apologize for the other night.”

I give him a weird look, “I may not have done this a lot, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to apologize about something that didn't even happen.”

“when you're boyfriend is my new boss, I think an apology is allowed.”

“boyfriend?” okay, now I seriously was confused.

“Adam...”

“oh! Right. We're not-” what were we? It's not like we had put a label on it. And we didn't exactly date that much. I mean, he brought me lunch, but that was about it. “Adam and I are still just working things out. Nothings going on.”

Mark rolls his eyes, “Think whatever you want, the boy is in love with you. I know for a fact that if Adam found out I was able to get you drunk, he'd beat the crap out of me and probably fire me.”

eh, he had a point, “okay, apology accepted. Now leave, I know you have work.”

he smiles and starts to make his way out of the kitchen. The door opens before he gets there and Adam froze.

“um, hello Adam.” Mark says, probably scared shitless.

“Mark, what are you doing back here?” Adam glances between the two of us.

I had to think quick, “See Mark? I told you this wasn't a good place to talk about the party. Now he knows.”

I could see Mark roll his eyes and play along, “the office is planning a surprise welcome back party for you. So just, act surprised. Oh, and you didn't hear anything from me.” he walks past Adam then and out the front.

“A party huh?” Adam wraps his arms around me.

“you mister, aren't supposed to know about it.”

“when is this surprise party?”

I laugh, “it wouldn't be a surprise then, would it?”

“I guess it wouldn't.”

“so, what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you so bright and early this morning?”

He laughs, “you just used fifteen words to ask why I'm here.” I stick my tongue out at him. “anyways, I came here to tell you that we're going out tonight.”

“is this the new trend? Instead of asking a girl out you tell her you're going out.”

“yes. Now, be ready by six.”

“what about-”

“Katie?” he finishes my questions, “Thomas' daughter, Madeline is going to come over and babysit for us. She's 15, CPR certified and works at the daycare on Jefferson after school. Clean background check, has never smoked or done drugs, can't stand the taste of alcohol, driving record is good and has straight A's. And she can cook. I told her to be at your apartment by 5:45 so that you could meet her and go over the rules and all that.”