Chapter 1

In My Line of Vision

Chapter 1

I search around me, my head spinning as the moment blurs by. My chest is tight as my heart bangs against it, my blood steaming as it runs through my veins. My ears are numb, not hearing much but my own thoughts. My eyes don't know where to settle as they take the situation in.

I see the cliff that leads to a huge fall into deep waters. I see Anya staring at me with determined eyes. I see the men, in their suits that protect them from the radiation. They hold guns in their hands, threatening both Anya and I. Their masks completely cover their faces, having seen these figures in my nightmares at night. They remind me of the grounder's ash, the burning fire, the red lasers, the musky gas that brought me to sleep.

My eyes return to Anya, who glares at the men with her fists clenched at her sides. She's bloody, covered in new and old wounds. Her anger towards the Mountain Men hangs so clear in the way she snarls at them, ready for justice for what they have done to her people. She starts to slowly back away from us, heading straight for the edge. The men yell, warning her as they raise their weapons.

My eyes widen when I see her turn around, running the last few steps to the edge, which she jumps from. Her body disappears going to the water, leaving this place behind. My mouth drops making my head become static, I look back to the men in suits who become tense, pointing their guns towards me. I look down and can see the lasers all directed on my chest, the center of the target being set.

There's only one option that I know I have to take here.

I won't stay here with these killers.

I swiftly turn and begin running towards the edge of the cliff, my feet dragging myself along the gravel as fast as they can. A shot is fired as I leap into the air, pain starts to burn in my shoulder. The feeling of falling so long being the thing that makes my head space, leaving it completely empty for the time being. The wind and discomfort being the only things I feel before water surrounds me in an instant.

I can feel it all around, pushing it's pressure on my shoulders. It's freezing and it feels like it's seeping into me. I open my eyes to have my vision blurred and burning, I can see light coming through the surface of the water. I try to move my limbs, only able to use three of them. My head aches as I struggle to get to the surface, my heart's pounding being the only thing I can hear. My lungs clench as I feel and realize the distance from the surface, my eyes beginning to close again as I feel my body shutting down.

****

I groan as soon as I awaken, my whole body betraying me with so much pain. I can feel rocks jabbing into my ribs and limbs, my head pounding, my shoulder feeling pierced from the bullet, and complete darkness all around me. I cough up water, my throat burning all the way down to my lungs from previously lack of oxygen. I can taste my own blood on my lips, knowing I must have lost a lot already. My arms shakingly push my body up, yet I find my hands tied together, making my wrists sore.

"You're awake, we go to my village now." I hear a voice tell me, making my body stiffen. I scatter into a sitting position, feeling my feet tied up as well. The pain in my shoulder and the rest of my body only enhancing the more I move myself.

"Who's there?" I frantically ask, feeling frightened as I try to get my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I wonder how long i've been unconscious here, considering that it's already night time.

"Stop being childish, you know who I am." The voice rings again and I feel pressure rise in my chest, fear seeping into my thoughts. There are movements, I can hear feet against the ground, walking on rocks and crunching leaves.