*chapter 8*

Ethan had to carry me to his room since I was too shaken up from what happened. I was sitting on his bed, staring at nothing. A hand holding a cup of hot chocolate appeared in front of me, making me jerk back. I relaxed when I realized that it was only Ethan.

"Thank you" I mumbled, grabbing the cup and taking a sip of it.

A sighed when I felt the hot sweetness of it go down my throat. I studied Ethan as he sit down next to me. He avoided eye contact with me, but when we did guilt was clear in his eyes.

"Listen Ava I'm so sorry" He looks down at his hands as he whisper to me his apology.

"It's okay" I forced a smile to tell him that it was okay, but he saw right through it. He groaned and falls into the bed and rubs his face. He ruffles his hair and began to rub his face again.

The sight itself made me giggle as I placed the mug on the nightstand and lie down next to him.

He stares at me with sad eyes as he turns to his side, propping his arm to look at me. I smiled at him as he did the same but it quickly vanished as soon it appeared.

"What happened?" He whispered, studying my reaction. I sighed and sat up preparing myself to tell him the story. He sat up as well leaning in to hear me better, tho vampires have high senses.

As I was telling him the story I could tell that he was thinking of something else. When I was done he let out a long whistle.

"This is better than I thought it would be" He mumbled more like to himself. I cleared my throat, getting his attention.

He smiled weakly at me.

"I'm sorry Ava, I-I never thought that you would survive this far" I popped an eyebrow as he smiles innocently at me.

"I'm a survivor" I told him raising my chin, being proud. He chuckles and shook his head.

"Yeah that's why you haven't been bitten yet" I dropped my face.

"Listen Ava, you don't have to do this" He whispers. My mouth touched the ground as I tried to read him, seeing if he's joking.

"I'm not joking" He gives me a forced smile before taking my hand.

"You're too innocent for this I-I can't-"

"I'm not" I grabbed his hand, surprising him.

"What?" Hope swirled in his eyes but so did concern.

"I'll stay" He didn't moved, he didn't react. He just stared at me, mouth hanging open.

"Did he hypnotized you?" I shook my head and he tackles me in a hug.

"Oof! Ethan" I groaned when his weight was on top of me. How can a perfectly fit human be so heavy? I heard him laugh as I smacked his head.

"I know I'm fit" He sighs into the hug. I smiled and hugged him back, ignoring how heavy he is.

"Are you sure about this?" I heard him mumbled. I nodded my head. He removes himself off of me and I pretended to cough, trying to catch my breath.

"Hey! I'm not that heavy!" He whined, clearly offended.

"Yes you were!" I whined. He frowns making me laugh. He laughs along, snaking his arms on my waist pulling me closer to him.

"Thank you" He whispered, resting his chin on top of my head. I smiled on his chest, suddenly liking my decision. It was really nice of Ethan to be so concerned about his best friend, tho his solution to it was wrong it was still nice of him.

"I'll be here to protect you okay?" I snuggled closer to him and nodded my head.

He leans back and kissed my forehead before resting his chin on my head again. I closed my eyes and breathe in his scent before falling asleep, feeling safe in his arms.