Wolf Trainer- Chapter 11

• Dedicated to Becky Smith

Chapter 11: Prayers to a friend

I jogged up to my house and once I reached the door I breathed in deep. I grabbed the doorknob and stood there. ''Quick, silent, and.... NOW!'' I thought.

I turned the knob and burst into my house, my home, that won't be where I live no more. I ran throught the house and gathered all my money. Then I ran back throught the house to the door, only this time my mom gaurded the door.

''Move.'' I choked.

''Where do you think you are going?'' She asked while sweat rolled down her face.

''Anywhere I need to, to save my friends.''

''Oh no you won't.'' She took a step closer to me. I hesitated but only for a moment. My plan was unraveling in my head. She took another step and for about ten more small steps as she came at me, I took a small step back too.

Then I used my plan, my perfect plan, against her. I jerked to the left but swerved around her right side. I was to fast for her. She missed me and I jerked the door opened and ran out. I ran towards the woods and back to where the pack would be.

Once I reached the creek, I saw them all standing there, staring at me in curiosity and fear. ''Lets go.'' I said after I caight my breath. ''Sarah, can you walk?''

''That is the only thing I can do. I can't run though. You should go without me.'' Sarah sighed.

''No. I'm one with the pack. You are a part of the pack. And the pack is one with me. We are all together till the end.'' I said firmly.

''We wouldn't leave without you!'' Anjoo added. ''None of us would.''

''You must though. For your own sake.'' Sarah argued.

''I said no, and that is final. Now lets go.'' Sarah grunted as I finished. Inja and Anjoo helped Sarah up and stayed at her side.

''Which way?'' Luna asked.

''Anywhere but here.'' I said. ''Just follow me, I guess.'' I sighed.

''Gary please be with us all now.'' I whispered to myself.

My house was south of us now. So I figured we might as well head NorthEast. And that is exactly where I headed for. I walked in that direction for only a couple of seconds and Anjoo said, ''I think we should head NorthWest. It will be easier for Sarah and you.''

I turned around and replied, ''Alright.'' And so I headed NorthWest instead.

We walked and walked until the sun had disappeared. I had no idea where we were. Nowhere. Somewhere. Away from home. In a safer place. In a place no one can find us, at least I hope. In the woods, the dark woods. Surrounded by who knows what. Headed to who knows where. Our minds cluttered. Our thoughts scary. And our voices silent.

Silent. Until Anjoo spoke, ''How will you sleep? You don't belong outside.''

''Either I won't or I will. But hey, who knows what will happen from here on out.'' I sighed. ''All I can say is Goodnight for you all.'' I laid down, checking for holes and ant hills. Then I laid down, tired but restless. I couldn't sleep throught the whole night. 

**************************************************************************************************************** 

When the sun rose, I was still awake. I looked around and all the others were awake and stretching or standing, except Sarah. I walked over to Sarah and said, ''Hey Sarah. I know you don't want to but we need to set out again. Know wake up.'' But she layed there, still and silent. ''Sarah.'' I said a tad bit louder. But still, no answer.

My eyes widened as I looked at her chest. Still. Not moving. Frieghtened I laid my ear to her chest. I swallowed. A tear fell from my eye. And another. And then a flood. I laid my head on her neck and my hand was across her still chest. Quickly all the others surrounded the limp body and me.

''Sarah! No!'' Anjoo pushed through the others and touched his nose to her chest. He too was crying a flood.

''What is it?'' One of the other wolves asked.

I turned to face Dioski. ''She has... died.'' Everyone gasped and stepped closer to Sarah. They sniffed and all started to cry. We all lay around her, crying, scared, helpless, hopless, withought a thought of where we was going or what would happen to us.

''We still must go. I know it seems unfair, but that is how it will be for now. I know you think we should stay but for our own safety we need to continue. And I know we should bury her but because of our situation we should pray for her now and leave.'' I said wiping the tears form my eyes.

''We know, Samantha. Everyone pray for her now and get ready for the unknown.'' Anjoo agreed.

We all closed our eyes adn everyone prayed. I prayed my heart out, ''God, be with our friend and family member, Sarah. Let her be safe with you. Please tell her to please watch out for us, for that we need her now more than ever. And please let her know we have prayed for her and that we all love her. Amen.''

After everyone finished, we set out again. The day before we hadn't traveld long or far, but today I knew we could quicken our pace.

We walked and hour and then I realized somehting we needed to discuss quickly. I turned around and started to talk, ''And since we need a new Alpha female, Dioski will have to step up. Dioski, you are now the Alpha female because you were the beta. And now Fomanii will be the beta wolf in the pack.''

I knew the others, even Dioski, wouldn't care much. We was in trouble and one of our friends had just died, so I didn't expect much form them. We were all scared and scarred. No one spoke, they just nodded. So I turned back around and kept walking to the unknown place we were headed for.

''Please be with us Sarah. And please let Gary be with us too God.'' I thought while looking at the firey sum peaking through the open areas through the trees.