Sandwich Run

Sandwich Run

It happened on Saturday night, while the gang was helping Randy move from Vermilion so he could attend U of M.

Carrying a heavy box of LPs, Chip lost his way and wandered into Randy's bedroom. He backed out of there, but not before he saw Randy hugging and kissing Debra.

Chip had a thing for Debra, but this confirmed the gossip. He knew she was a lost cause.

Ten minutes later, Randy took Chip aside. "My man! We're almost done here. Could you do me a solid? I promised this crew supper and there's a sandwich shop down the street." He handed Chip some twenties.

Chip didn't want company, so he set off alone on foot.

The fragrant summer air lifted his mood as he checked out the nightlife in Randy's new neighborhood. The street was bustling with students. Every porch hosted a party, every window had lights on and music up. Sweet girls in cutoffs strolled in twos and threes, flashing smiles that lit up the night.

The whole length of the street, and on the side streets as well, Chip encountered more parties, more music, more girls. It was crazy.

This was the life Chip was missing with his ass stuck in Vermilion. He never met anybody new. All the chicks were in long-term relationships. And the whole rotten town had him pegged as a loser.

But not here. Here he could find people on his wavelength, people who'd give him half a chance. Girls who were understanding. Here, if he screwed up, he wouldn't have to live it down. Here, he could just move on.

The sandwich shop should have turned up long ago. He must have passed it or taken a wrong turn. But he was too deep in thought to worry about it. Another sub shop would turn up if he just kept walking.

But there were no more shops. The street grew quiet, the houses further apart, the windows dark. And it was not long before he was hiking stretches of desolate, empty highway.

Just like a hundred roads in Vermilion, he thought. There's no escaping it.

By the time Chip returned empty-handed, the gang was in a surly mood. They'd waited an hour to get fed before giving up on him. Then Randy had only enough cash for cheap pizza, and nothing for a beer run. Chip was glad he was carrying the truck keys- otherwise he'd be taking the bus home for sure.

Collecting the twenties from Chip, Randy joked about the whole fiasco. But Chip knew that, deep down, his friend was really pissed.

Only Debra showed any concern for Chip. She gave him a goodbye hug, then looked in his eyes and asked him if he was Ok. A flood of warmth washed over him, a warmth he knew was not his to receive.

He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. Then he turned and headed for the truck.