chapter seventeen. worshipping

Violet jumps on Dane as he laughs before Riven pulls her off him. "I have something," Violet pulls herself away from the boys and looks over at Silva who's sitting in the back of the truck. "Here," she hands him a donut and he takes it. "Thanks," he smiles and she holds her hand out, touching his for a second.

"You're gonna be fine," she pulls away and climbs in the truck with the boys. "Don't worry about Silva," Riven pats her leg as she rolls down the window, sitting where the window is supposed to be. "What are you doing?" Dane pokes her shoe and she looks down at him while the truck starts driving. "Just watching," she leans her body against the top watching the trucks behind them before they start burning up and crashing into one another but Violet doesn't say anything.

She promised Beatrix she wouldn't help him escape, she didn't say she wouldn't let him go by himself and when a water bubble with a key inside it falls into his hands she pushes herself back onto the truck, sitting on Dane's lap who doesn't seem bothered by her presence. 

"I was cold," she explains and in the corner of her eye she sees Silva run out into the woods, Riven is the first to rush out and Andreas comes out of nowhere before Violet and Dane follow behind them.

"Get him!" Andreas calls and they chase him to the edge of a cliff before he jumps in. "We'll wait for him to come up, he probably won't be able to stay under the water for too long," Andreas explains and when he turns to the teens Violet is already jumping into the water. "I'll look here, you guys can go down the stream," she calls, looking up at them. "No way in hell, you're staying there alone," Andreas calls back and pushes Riven and Dane off the cliff.

Riven is on his feet in less than five seconds whereas Violet needs to help Dane to his feet. "I hate being alive," Dane says as Violet laughs, pushing her wet hair out of her face. "We won't find. We should just head home," Riven explains, walking away before Dane and Violet follow behind. "Carry me," Violet calls and jumps on Riven's back.

When they get back to school, the boys go to talk to Rosalind about the mission and Violet heads to their room, where Beatrix is waiting for Violet in her room, pulling Violet into a hug. "I'm still wet," Violet laughs, and Beatrix shakes her head. "It's fine, I was just worried. I thought you got heard," she smiles, pulling away and placing a hand on Violet's cheek.

"Bea," Violet tilts her head, a frown coming onto her face as she removes the small vial from her pocket and puts it on her bedside table. "I know," Beatrix leans past Violet, locking the door. "I know you let him go and I'm not upset but Rosalind is gonna find out, I need to protect you. I need to fortify your mind or else she'll see it," she helps Violet down on the bed and removes a crystal from her pocket.

"What?" Violet frowns and Beatrix pushes her back. "This crystal will strengthen the walls of your mind, make sure no one can get in," Beatrix straddles Violet's hips, before closing her eyes and taking Violet's hands into hers.

She whispers words in Latin and Violet shuts her eyes, feeling walls move around her mind, feeling Beatrix's power wrap around her until it pulls away and Beatrix falls over on her, resting an arm above her head, her body feeling weak.

"Now you're safe," she smiles, pushing herself up as Violet sits up and pushes herself against her wall. "You always protect me and I feel like I just let you down," Violet holds Beatrix's hands.

"You didn't because I knew you were gonna let him go. I wanted you to let him go, I just didn't say it out of fear that Andreas would hear. The truth is, I wouldn't have let Silva go if I got the chance but you would and that's one of the reasons I need you more than anything in the world cause sometimes I'm scared to do the right thing but I know you always will," Beatrix grips Violet's hands tighter.

"I don't believe in much but I believe in you. You can never let me down," Beatrix smiles. "Because you are the only thing on this shitty earth that's worth worshipping," she leans forward, placing a kiss on Violet's lips while her other hand unzips Violet's vest.

Violet smiles into the kiss, her hand sliding into Beatrix's hair as she leans forward making the other girl's back press against the bed. "I adore you," Violet whispers into the kiss and suddenly there's no one else.

Suddenly they are the only two beings on this planet because they are all they have and all they'll ever need.