Chapter 1

Velaris
She looked at the now empty throne. Who would take over? The king was dead, he had no heirs, all the Fae who were next in line died in the war. Her former family had done a damn good job ensuring that there would be no predecessors to throne and hybern fell to ruin. No matter how many times she thought of her old life, she couldn't find any emotion besides anger. What else was she supposed to do? No was there when she needed saving, there was only one person, The king; Adrias.

She free-fell of th e cliff and into open air. Time seemed to slow, even as she sped towards the ground, dying like this was much better than dying by the hands of another court. So she fell. As she fell she thought of her brother, she thought of Cassian, she thought of Azriel. She remembered when they met each other. When Velaris and Rhys were in one of the worse parts of the Illyrian camps they saw Cas, and decided he was the perfect new addition to their family, instead of living as a bastard child in the slums.

Then all three of them found Azriel, crouched in a dark room with bloody bandages around his hands,  tears streaming down his face. She was the youngest out of all of them, but grew to be one of the strongest. Rhysand was 3 years older, Azriel 5, and cassian 4. But that didnt matter now. She didnt have wings, she didnt have magic to stop her from falling. Then, as if she stopped mid air, she was consumed by blackness.

She stared at the throne a little longer, as if the king was suddenly going to appear on it and give her an order. But he didn't. Because he was dead, he had been for a few months now. It had taken her a while to get herself off of Prythian, then back to the heart of Hybern itself. She sighed. He was dead. The king who had saved her those centuries ago, enhanced her power with cauldron. Let her live a life. Was dead. She looked at the small triangular tattoo on her wrist.

The symbol of their deal. He would let her live, save her, as long as she was a general. It might've been stupid at the time. But she was angry- and still was , at her brother for not being their, for barley trying to look for her after she 'died'. And there was no denying that, because she watched him after she was pronounced dead, watching him look through the courts once or twice, hear about her old wings belonging to Tamlin, and gave up.

She had made up her decision, one last visit to her family, to find one thing, then she could rid them of her life forever. That one thing. That one damn thing. The blade that had killed him, and perhaps the girl that had too. Truth-teller.