Chapter 60: Grave

Start bij het begin

"Wanna head out now or a little later?" She asks softly, keeping the atmosphere as calm as it just was. I give her a little smile.

"Now." I answer and she nods before letting go of me, so we can get ready.

We get into warm clothes and I grab my keys before we head out. Since Mom took the car, we have to walk but it's not too far away, only like a 15 minute walk. Scarlett almost automatically takes my hand and wraps her other arm around that arm, walking close to me. I enjoy it and kiss her cheek, one of the few parts of her face that isn't covered in a scarf or hat.

"Who did you have the call with?" I ask casually as we stroll down a street.

"My manager called, something about my acting job next year. They rescheduled a few things and she informed me about it. It doesn't really change a lot, I will just spend some more time in studios now, which I don't mind because they are closer to my house." She explains and I look at her in surprise.

"I know, I was also confused that the producers worked on Christmas but whatever floats their boats I guess." She shrugs but I shake my head, that wasn't what I was surprised about. Well, also but not mainly.

"You have a house in LA?" I ask and she seems to remember she never mentioned it.

"Oh right, yes I do." She confirms and looks at me, trying to figure out how I feel about this.

"Wow." Is the only thing I can say so far. Sometimes I honestly forget that she has a lot of money because it's not important for me and also because it's not a daily topic.

"That's impressive." I add and she smiles softly, squeezing my arm a little.

"It definitely makes it easier when I have to film over there." She says and I nod, makes sense.

"Did your manager say anything else? Like maybe that you don't need to be gone that long?" I ask and look at her with hopeful eyes. She sighs a little and shakes her head.

"Sadly no, baby. I still will go in February and film for about three months." She denies and I sigh as well.

"I will miss you a lot." I admit and she leans her head against my shoulder.

"I will miss you too." She replies. "But we will make it work. I believe in us."
I smile a little and kiss her cheek.
"I believe in us too."

We walk in silence for the next few minutes until we reach the cemetery.
My mood changes almost immediately but not directly into sadness, more like heaviness because I am aware how many loved ones are here and couldn't spend Christmas with their families.

My hold on Scarlett's hand tightens a bit. I guide her through the graveyard to the place my Dad is buried.
When we stop in front of his grave, I press my lips together a little bit. My eyes wander over the tombstone and I slowly let go of Scar's hand to kneel down in front of it. I wipe away some dirt from it and remove leaves that stuck to it, revealing my Dad's name.

When I see it, I gulp a little and feel a knot forming in my throat that makes it harder to swallow.
My fingertip grazes over the engraved name and I don't notice how I whisper his name. I read over the words we engraved underneath his name and date of death.

As long as you are loved, you can't be forgotten. You will always live on in the hearts of your children and your wife.

He was such a great man, he didn't deserve to die, he had so much more plans.
I feel a bit of frustration bubble up inside me and I hold onto the stone, my grip getting tighter as I think about it. Dad was amazing and the best father I could have wished for. He would always have my back without any questions asked.